Most Recent Posts
- UK offensive line not ready to “manhandle people in the SEC” but Mark Stoops expects improvement
- UK announces quarterback Jalen Whitlow plans to transfer
- Sports Illustrated rates Trey Lyles as top five player, intriguing point-forward for Kentucky
- Guest post: After surprising finish, now is not the time to judge players who leave for NBA
- D.J. Eliot counting on Stamps; more on Khalid Henderson, Bud Dupree, Blake McClain, J.D. Harmon, Regie Meant
- John Calipari will have book-signing tour in Lexington, Louisville, Bowling Green, Crestview
- John Calipari has to explain to Bill O’Reilly that Kentucky program has discipline, values to protect players, brand
- Could Kentucky signee Karl Towns Jr. end up top pick in 2015 NBA draft?
By LARRY VAUGHT
Vaughtsviews.com regular Larry Pup posed an interesting topic to me that I want to share with you.
“I think interesting topic for discussion on VV’s would be who the readers think was the best radio play by play announcer the Kentucky Wildcats have ever had. My pick is Cawood Ledford,” Larry Pup said.
So I asked him what he remembered about other UK announcers. Here was his response:
“I have only heard tapes of Claude Sullivan, and he was tremendous for UK. Shucks horse racing, too. Many UK fans who remember Claude feel he bested Cawood, but I grew to love Cawood Ledford over the years calling Wildcat games. Sitting by the radio in an earlier life, Cawood made you feel like you were right there in the stadium or at the basketball game. He was tops in my book.
“One of the best college football radio announcers I ever heard was Larry Munson on the Georgia Bulldog network. I used to listen to him a lot when I lived in the deep south. His famous quote ‘Hunker down Dogs’ just grabbed you by the throat and kept you so focused to the broadcast. I lived in Jacksonville the year Derrick Ramsey and company whipped the Bulldogs bad between the hedges. I believe the score was something like 33 to 7. I will never forget the credit and kind words Munson uttered in that broadcast for that UK team. I was very proud of the Wildcat” that day and year, and what a team that was with Art Still and some of those others players.
“I also like Mike Hubert of the Florida Gators with his famous saying ‘OH MY!” He does a really great job and makes the game come alive. Florida tends to do that however on many plays without his help.
“I would be curious how other Wildcat fans rate our own Tom Leach. He does a good job, but he is no Cawood, perhaps in time.”
So what do you think? Who has been UK’s best play-by-play announcer? How do you like Leach, who I think is very, very good?