Most Recent Posts
- Lyles, Booker both put on show for Calipari, UK assistants, UK fans
- Huntington Prep soph Miles Bridges considers Kentucky “dream school”
- Myles Turner one player that Trey Lyles talks to about Kentucky
- “Typical performance” for Lyles — 30 points, 19 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals
- Randle says Calipari “knows all of us have fight in us”
- Coach on Lyles: “Sometimes he can be too unselfish, but he can take over a game”
- Photo Gallery: UK Hoops tops Baylor in four overtimes
- Upset Calipari says “They outhustled us, they outworked us” and Cats “did our own thing” too much
By LARRY VAUGHT
Vaughtsviews.com regular Larry Pup posed an interesting topic to me that I want to share with you.
“I think interesting topic for discussion on VV’s would be who the readers think was the best radio play by play announcer the Kentucky Wildcats have ever had. My pick is Cawood Ledford,” Larry Pup said.
So I asked him what he remembered about other UK announcers. Here was his response:
“I have only heard tapes of Claude Sullivan, and he was tremendous for UK. Shucks horse racing, too. Many UK fans who remember Claude feel he bested Cawood, but I grew to love Cawood Ledford over the years calling Wildcat games. Sitting by the radio in an earlier life, Cawood made you feel like you were right there in the stadium or at the basketball game. He was tops in my book.
“One of the best college football radio announcers I ever heard was Larry Munson on the Georgia Bulldog network. I used to listen to him a lot when I lived in the deep south. His famous quote ‘Hunker down Dogs’ just grabbed you by the throat and kept you so focused to the broadcast. I lived in Jacksonville the year Derrick Ramsey and company whipped the Bulldogs bad between the hedges. I believe the score was something like 33 to 7. I will never forget the credit and kind words Munson uttered in that broadcast for that UK team. I was very proud of the Wildcat” that day and year, and what a team that was with Art Still and some of those others players.
“I also like Mike Hubert of the Florida Gators with his famous saying ‘OH MY!” He does a really great job and makes the game come alive. Florida tends to do that however on many plays without his help.
“I would be curious how other Wildcat fans rate our own Tom Leach. He does a good job, but he is no Cawood, perhaps in time.”
So what do you think? Who has been UK’s best play-by-play announcer? How do you like Leach, who I think is very, very good?