Most Recent Posts
- Big Blue Weekend featuring Blue-White Game has something for everyone
- Dakari Johnson thankful for memories, eager to win national title and continue studies
- SEC commissioner Mike Slive expects vote on adding 9th SEC football game at spring meetings
- Vince Marrow to UK fans: Blue-White attendance has big impact on recruiting
- Guest post: Fan has his solution for one-and-done dilemma for NBA, NCAA and players
- Dakari Johnson’s mother appreciates opportunities her son had, looks forward to future at UK
- Kentucky center Dakari Johnson to return for sophomore season
- Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops not only watches Kentucky practice, but puts on UK pullover
By LARRY VAUGHT
Where were the fans for UKÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Senior Day?
Yes, I know it was an early kickoff. Yes, I know Commonwealth Stadium had plenty of empty seats when the game started.
But why were there fewer than 20,000 fans in the stadium when UKÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s 16 seniors were honored Saturday before the Wildcats beat Vanderbilt.
ThatÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s a topic we debated on WLAP during our Sunday Morning Sports Show and I asked for fans to let us know what happened. Some suggested the early start. Some suggested lack of interest in a team that was not entertaining enough. Some suggested UK had done too many things to alienate fans by raising ticket and parking prices.
However, here is one explanation from listener Kathy Taylor that I could not fault. She sent this e-mail to the show:
Ã¢â‚¬Å“Hey guys.. Here’s one story from a couple fansÃ‚Â who never miss Senior Day.Ã‚Â My son and I stopped at Central Baptist hospital to visit my new great niece/his new second cousin before walking over to the stadium. We were late because weÃ‚Â had to wait for a nurse to finish in the room before we could go in.Ã‚Â She’d had a pretty rocky beginning to her new life and this was our first chance to actually hold her.Ã‚Â Thankfully, all is well now.Ã‚Â Sorry guys, our heart was in the right place!Ã¢â‚¬Â
Take a look at the picture of Taylor with her great niece and certainly all is forgiven with her.
But if you went to the game and didnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t make the Senior Day ceremony, just let me know why. If you had tickets and didnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t even go to the game, let me know why. If you did watch the ceremony, let me know why you did attend.
Just trying to figure out why there was such a low turnout on a perfect weather day for seniors who have helped elevate the Kentucky program to where it has been bowl eligible every year they have been at Kentucky.