Most Recent Posts
- John Calipari says not allowing schools that can afford it to take care of players, families has to stop
- UK offensive coordinator Neal Brown says Patrick Towles has “made tremendous strides”
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter NBA draft
- John Calipari on Willie Cauley-Stein: “I never even talked to him about coming back”
- John Calipari says summer tour “will probably be something with World Games;” has not interviewed possible assistants yet
- Draft analyst Ed Isaacson sees Alex Poythress as early second round pick, not sure Dakari Johnson goes in 1st round
- Mark Stoops explains why providing unlimited meals, snacks for athletes is right thing to do
- NBAdraftblog.com’s Ed Isaacson sees Andrew, Aaron Harrison in lower part of NBA first round
By LARRY VAUGHT
Where were the fans for UKÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Senior Day?
Yes, I know it was an early kickoff. Yes, I know Commonwealth Stadium had plenty of empty seats when the game started.
But why were there fewer than 20,000 fans in the stadium when UKÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s 16 seniors were honored Saturday before the Wildcats beat Vanderbilt.
ThatÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s a topic we debated on WLAP during our Sunday Morning Sports Show and I asked for fans to let us know what happened. Some suggested the early start. Some suggested lack of interest in a team that was not entertaining enough. Some suggested UK had done too many things to alienate fans by raising ticket and parking prices.
However, here is one explanation from listener Kathy Taylor that I could not fault. She sent this e-mail to the show:
Ã¢â‚¬Å“Hey guys.. Here’s one story from a couple fansÃ‚Â who never miss Senior Day.Ã‚Â My son and I stopped at Central Baptist hospital to visit my new great niece/his new second cousin before walking over to the stadium. We were late because weÃ‚Â had to wait for a nurse to finish in the room before we could go in.Ã‚Â She’d had a pretty rocky beginning to her new life and this was our first chance to actually hold her.Ã‚Â Thankfully, all is well now.Ã‚Â Sorry guys, our heart was in the right place!Ã¢â‚¬Â
Take a look at the picture of Taylor with her great niece and certainly all is forgiven with her.
But if you went to the game and didnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t make the Senior Day ceremony, just let me know why. If you had tickets and didnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t even go to the game, let me know why. If you did watch the ceremony, let me know why you did attend.
Just trying to figure out why there was such a low turnout on a perfect weather day for seniors who have helped elevate the Kentucky program to where it has been bowl eligible every year they have been at Kentucky.