Most Recent Posts
- Limited number of eRUPPTion Zone tickets for Belmont, Mississippi State available
- Freshman star Julius Randle admits UK ‘harder’ than expected, but nothing ‘I can’t handle’
- Kentucky athletics director Mitch Barnhart wants to “create great environment with students” around recruiting room
- Kentucky running back JoJo Kemp: “It’s all about the program, not me, and I like that we are getting good people.”
- Boise St. coach Leon Rice: “I have never ever underestimated” Calipari
- How close is Kentucky to being “unleashed?”
- Photo Gallery: Kentucky tops Boise State
- Kentucky Wildcats TV: Highlights from the Cats’ win over Boise State
By LARRY VAUGHT
Where were the fans for UKÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Senior Day?
Yes, I know it was an early kickoff. Yes, I know Commonwealth Stadium had plenty of empty seats when the game started.
But why were there fewer than 20,000 fans in the stadium when UKÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s 16 seniors were honored Saturday before the Wildcats beat Vanderbilt.
ThatÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s a topic we debated on WLAP during our Sunday Morning Sports Show and I asked for fans to let us know what happened. Some suggested the early start. Some suggested lack of interest in a team that was not entertaining enough. Some suggested UK had done too many things to alienate fans by raising ticket and parking prices.
However, here is one explanation from listener Kathy Taylor that I could not fault. She sent this e-mail to the show:
Ã¢â‚¬Å“Hey guys.. Here’s one story from a couple fansÃ‚Â who never miss Senior Day.Ã‚Â My son and I stopped at Central Baptist hospital to visit my new great niece/his new second cousin before walking over to the stadium. We were late because weÃ‚Â had to wait for a nurse to finish in the room before we could go in.Ã‚Â She’d had a pretty rocky beginning to her new life and this was our first chance to actually hold her.Ã‚Â Thankfully, all is well now.Ã‚Â Sorry guys, our heart was in the right place!Ã¢â‚¬Â
Take a look at the picture of Taylor with her great niece and certainly all is forgiven with her.
But if you went to the game and didnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t make the Senior Day ceremony, just let me know why. If you had tickets and didnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t even go to the game, let me know why. If you did watch the ceremony, let me know why you did attend.
Just trying to figure out why there was such a low turnout on a perfect weather day for seniors who have helped elevate the Kentucky program to where it has been bowl eligible every year they have been at Kentucky.