Most Recent Posts
- NCAA trends: Scoring, FG percent up, fouls up; turnovers downs
- Center Jon Toth named to SEC All-Freshman Team
- So you want to be a photographer? Clay Jackson shows the hazards of the profession
- Cauley-Stein on comparison to Rodman: “I ain’t wearing no wedding dress or nothing.”
- UK freshman James Young on team’s effort against Boise State: “We wanted to prove a lot of people wrong”
- John Calipari and Rick Pitino part of new CBS Sports series “NCAA Men of March”
- Guest post: Schedule ‘custom made’ for Calipari’s Cats to improve now
- Despite 8th double-double, UK freshman Julius Randle says “I still can do a lot better”
By LARRY VAUGHT
What is your favorite Kyle Wiltjer memory?
Mine is a bit different. It involves his parents, Greg and Carol, and how supportive they were of him and Kentucky basketball in general.
I remember the 2012 Final Four in New Orleans. It was the day after UK beat Louisville in the national semifinals when I saw Wiltjer’s parents. I told them I knew how excited they must be even though Kyle didn’t get to play a lot in the victory.
But they let me know immediately that all that mattered to them, or Kyle, was that Kentucky won and had a chance to win a national championship. I never forgot that because not all parents are that way, especially on a street in New Orleans where they were not being quoted.
But the Wiltjers were terrific folks and I will miss having Kyle around. Many media members did not consider him a “great interview” because he didn’t give funny, flashy answers. Instead, he answered honestly and I always enjoyed spending time with him.
But what about you? What is your favorite Wiltjer memory or what will you remember most about him?