Most Recent Posts
- Neal Brown would like one running back to emerge, but okay with running back by committee
- Julius Randle “can’t speak” on what Harrisons will do, but expects UK to have “amazing team” again
- After postseason run, Julius Randle “at peace” to leave Kentucky for NBA
- Julius Randle announces he’s leaving Kentucky to enter NBA draft
- Kentucky Wildcats TV: Julius Randle press conference on April 22
- Guest post: John Calipari book signing draws crowd, interesting tidbits on recruiting, pasta and more
- Guest post: NCAA has power to negate one and done if it wants
- John Wall says John Calipari “loves Kentucky too much” to leave for NBA
By LARRY VAUGHT
What is your favorite Kyle Wiltjer memory?
Mine is a bit different. It involves his parents, Greg and Carol, and how supportive they were of him and Kentucky basketball in general.
I remember the 2012 Final Four in New Orleans. It was the day after UK beat Louisville in the national semifinals when I saw Wiltjer’s parents. I told them I knew how excited they must be even though Kyle didn’t get to play a lot in the victory.
But they let me know immediately that all that mattered to them, or Kyle, was that Kentucky won and had a chance to win a national championship. I never forgot that because not all parents are that way, especially on a street in New Orleans where they were not being quoted.
But the Wiltjers were terrific folks and I will miss having Kyle around. Many media members did not consider him a “great interview” because he didn’t give funny, flashy answers. Instead, he answered honestly and I always enjoyed spending time with him.
But what about you? What is your favorite Wiltjer memory or what will you remember most about him?