Most Recent Posts
- Julius Randle knew he had to sacrifice just like others for Kentucky to succeed
- Dakari Johnson appreciated the way Kentucky fans “stuck with us”
- Neal Brown would like one running back to emerge, but okay with running back by committee
- Julius Randle “can’t speak” on what Harrisons will do, but expects UK to have “amazing team” again
- After postseason run, Julius Randle “at peace” to leave Kentucky for NBA
- Julius Randle announces he’s leaving Kentucky to enter NBA draft
- Kentucky Wildcats TV: Julius Randle press conference on April 22
- Guest post: John Calipari book signing draws crowd, interesting tidbits on recruiting, pasta and more
By LARRY VAUGHT
ESPN college basketball analyst Dick Vitale took time on a call with national media members Teusday to blast those who accuse Kentucky coach John Calipari of cheating or breaking NCAA rules Ã¢â‚¬Å“when he has not ever been charged with cheatingÃ¢â‚¬Â by the NCAA.
Vitale pointed out that Derrick Rose was declared eligible twice at Memphis when Calipari was there before being ruled ineligible a year after the Tigers reached the Final Four. The NCAA made Memphis vacate its wins from that season.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“What school in America would not play Derrick Rose if they (the NCAA) tells you he should play? Then come back and vacate the Final Four and knock off all theÃ‚Â wins. Give me a break. You told that kid he can play. I have a problem with that,Ã¢â‚¬Â Vitale said,.
He also wondered why many blistered Calipari when Massachusetts had to vacate its Final Four berth after it was revealed that player Marcus Camby had an agent and the same barbs have not been aimed at football coaches Nick Saban of Alabama or Urban Meyer of Florida for similar situations.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“Yet John is crucified,Ã¢â‚¬Â Vitale said.
Vitale also took a few shots at the NCAA for not making a decision on Kentucky freshman Enes KanterÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s eligibility.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“I have a real problem with that. I cannot understand or comprehendÃ‚Â decisions that drag out as long as they do. But to drag it out all this time and affect kids, schools, alumni? You do not have to be a Rhodes Scholar to analyze material and see if a kid is eligible. l think it is a joke and comical. It is a joke. It is an embarrassment to our sport.Ã¢â‚¬Â