Most Recent Posts
- UK football coach Mark Stoops understands obstacles, challenges at UK but “we’re going to play to win”
- Former UK great Jeff Sheppard excited about recruiting class, but says fans should remember players are young
- Kentucky fans even took time to throw up the “3 goggles” in the Alps
- Signee Marcus Lee says Kentucky “will refuse to lose next year”
- Even UK football coach Mark Stoops did not expect this much fan support at Kentucky
- Video: UK softball coach Rachel Lawson previews the Super Regional clash against Arizona State
- ESPN.com’s Jason King seems to have logical rankings going into next season
- Mark Stoops on John Calipari: “I love being around him”
By LARRY VAUGHT
It was certainly fun to write about the annual Dick Vitale Gala that helps raise money for the V Foundation for Cancer Research because thatÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s a cause that in some way impacts almost every American.
However, what I didnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t expect was for both Vitale and Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari to let others know about the vaughtsviews.com post on their Facebook pages (https://www.facebook.com/coachcalipari and https://www.facebook.com/therealdickvitale).
HereÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s what Vitale posted with a link to the story: Ã¢â‚¬Å“Ppl (people) like Larry Vaught mean so much to our goals Ã¢â‚¬â€ Thanks Larry. see @UKCoachCalipari appreciates ur (your) kindness.Ã¢â‚¬Â
HereÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s what Calipari posted: Ã¢â‚¬Å“Hope you will take some time to read over this great piece from Larry Vaught about the Dickie V Gala.Ã¢â‚¬Â
How cool is that for both of them to take time to do that.
Vitale has assembled an all-star staff of college basketball coaches and sports personalities to attend the fund-raising event. That includes Calipari and Rick Pitino of Louisville, who have both pledged $50,000 to the event.
Vitale said he appreciates CalipariÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s support not only of his gala, but the way heÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s involved in many charitable endeavors.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“John has always been very generous, very giving. But I think heÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s like me and gets a bigger thrill from this than the people who receive the money. When you give back for a cause like this, there is no greater thrill and John realizes that and does all he can to help me and many, many other causes.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“I just want to do all I can for kids with leukemia and cancer. I am obsessed. I need all my friends to help, not just the all-star lineup we have coming to Sarasota so we can continue to net $1 million in donations. We have three former Heisman Trophy winners, all the Final Four coaches, Erin Andrews and many, many more stars coming. Larry Brown is going to introduce John. Jim Calhoun will be introduced by Roy Williams.Ã‚Â Sarasota will be the sports capital of the world on this night because folks like John Calipari are willing to put others first.Ã¢â‚¬Â
So again, if you want to help a great cause, hereÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s your chance
* * *
For more information on The V Foundation or to make a donation,Ã‚Â call 1-800-4JimmyV or go http:Ã¢â‚¬â€www.jimmyv.org.