Most Recent Posts
- Big Blue Weekend featuring Blue-White Game has something for everyone
- Dakari Johnson thankful for memories, eager to win national title and continue studies
- SEC commissioner Mike Slive expects vote on adding 9th SEC football game at spring meetings
- Vince Marrow to UK fans: Blue-White attendance has big impact on recruiting
- Guest post: Fan has his solution for one-and-done dilemma for NBA, NCAA and players
- Dakari Johnson’s mother appreciates opportunities her son had, looks forward to future at UK
- Kentucky center Dakari Johnson to return for sophomore season
- Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops not only watches Kentucky practice, but puts on UK pullover
By LARRY VAUGHT
BENTON — Kentucky signee Derek Willis of Bullitt East doesn’t know where Huntington Prep standout Andrew Wiggins will play his college basketball, but he offered his opinion while he was at the Marshall County Hoop Fest.
Question: Do you try to watch and learn things from players like the Harrison twins, Andrew Wiggins, Cliff Alexander and others when you are at an event like the Marshall County Hoop Fest?
Willis: “I supported my team and had a good time with my team, but you have to learn. I watched Wiggins. I watch everybody’s highlight video. I learn new things not just from other recruits, but from NBA players. I watch Larry Bird’s old videos. Just anybody.”
Question: What do you think when you watch Wiggins’ highlights considering he’s not only a UK recruiting target, but also the nation’s No. 1 recruit?
Willis: “He’s just a freak, and I mean that in a good way. He’s just a freak athlete. He has a lot of big things coming towards him and I am sure he realizes that. He is the best player in my opinion that I have seen in my whole life.”
Question: Do you think Kentucky will add Wiggins to your recruiting class?
Willis: “I would say we will. I would say we would get him before Julius Randle if Julius Randle even comes. But either one of them, you can’t go wrong. Either would be great.”