Most Recent Posts
- Kentucky gets the Gator off its back, beats Florida 75-70 in SEC semis
- Willie Cauley-Stein says Cats “obviously 100 percent” believe they can beat No. 1 Florida
- John Calipari has assigned assistants to monitor players’ minutes in games
- Kentucky Wildcats TV: How you approach the end
- John Calipari says Kentucky must “make some jump shots” to play with Florida
- John Calipari: “To have people say this team is done, I just don’t believe it”
- Jarrod Polson, Jon Hood will be “getting in their ears” to tell teammates about March play
- ESPN’s Jay Bilas has fun watching Gators, a team without “big shots going pro” after one year
By LARRY VAUGHT
BENTON — Kentucky signee Derek Willis of Bullitt East doesn’t know where Huntington Prep standout Andrew Wiggins will play his college basketball, but he offered his opinion while he was at the Marshall County Hoop Fest.
Question: Do you try to watch and learn things from players like the Harrison twins, Andrew Wiggins, Cliff Alexander and others when you are at an event like the Marshall County Hoop Fest?
Willis: “I supported my team and had a good time with my team, but you have to learn. I watched Wiggins. I watch everybody’s highlight video. I learn new things not just from other recruits, but from NBA players. I watch Larry Bird’s old videos. Just anybody.”
Question: What do you think when you watch Wiggins’ highlights considering he’s not only a UK recruiting target, but also the nation’s No. 1 recruit?
Willis: “He’s just a freak, and I mean that in a good way. He’s just a freak athlete. He has a lot of big things coming towards him and I am sure he realizes that. He is the best player in my opinion that I have seen in my whole life.”
Question: Do you think Kentucky will add Wiggins to your recruiting class?
Willis: “I would say we will. I would say we would get him before Julius Randle if Julius Randle even comes. But either one of them, you can’t go wrong. Either would be great.”