Most Recent Posts
- ESPN.com’s Jason King seems to have logical rankings going into next season
- Mark Stoops on John Calipari: “I love being around him”
- UK football coach Mark Stoops understands that hiring Vince Marrow was a home run for Kentucky
- Video: Larry hears cowbells, makes a chocolate cow and soaks up the culture in Switzerland
- Video: UK offensive coordinator Neal Brown talks about recruiting the home state of Kentucky
- What role did Drew Barker’s mother play in his athletic development?
- Calipari will be keynote speaker at Iba Awards June 3 in Tulsa
- D.J. Eliot understands coach Mark Stoops “very well” can bring new ideas to UK defense
By ASHLEY SCOBY
In most of his preseason comments so far, UK women’s basketball head coach Matthew Mitchell has said that he wants this year’s team to be the most “exciting” team in college basketball this year. He wants them to be the fastest, the quickest, the most enthusiastic girls in the NCAA.
The video above shows just how Mitchell and this year’s team is making that happen. After UK Hoops’ Media Day last week, the media were invited to attend the team’s practice afterwards. The drill shown in this particular video is the one that Mitchell says the team must concentrate on for the entire year – as he was explaining how the drill would work, he told his team, “If you commit to this, you can be the best team in the country.”
The two biggest things that were obvious during last week’s practice (and in this video) were the girls’ quickness and their ability to communicate with each other. They went from one drill to another as quickly as possible, and Mitchell constantly encouraged their best effort and to keep going faster, faster, faster.
He also had them talking to each other throughout the whole practice. As they were moving up and down the court in a variety of warm-up exercises, the girls would shout words of encouragement to each other – “There you go, Bria!” or “I see you, Janee.” Their communication was nonstop, and that is sure to help with team chemistry on a team that is loaded top-to-bottom with talent.
Enjoy the video above, and notice how Mitchell is coming through with his promise that his 2012-13 team will be the most exciting in college basketball.