Most Recent Posts
- Future Cats Trey Lyles, Karl Towns, Devin Booker, Tyler Ulis all will paly in Jordan Brand All-American Game
- John Calipari hopes “cooler heads” come together to change one-and-done to two-and-done
- Kentucky fourth No. 1 preseason team to drop totally out of AP top 25
- John Calipari says Cats have to be scrappier, play more physical and share the ball a lot better
- Kentucky QB Patrick Towles will work out with QB guru George Whitfield over spring break
- John Calipari says great players make 2-on-1 look simple and UK “makes those look harder”
- John Calipari: “… just keep making that pass. Make it 22 times”
- Kentucky falls 71-70 to Tennessee in SEC championship
By LARRY VAUGHT
Tennessee has lost twice to Florida and coach Cuonzo Martin says the Gators are “one of the best teams in college basketball” not only because of their four senior starters but also because younger players understand their roles.
“Whenever your point guard can lead the team, you can be good. Scottie Wilbekin guards the best scoring guard and accepts whatever challenge there is. Patric Young is a big guy inside who does what he does. Casey Prather waited his turn and is doing things. They have guys committed to what they are doing,” the Tennessee coach said.
Young is averaging 10.2 points and 6.9 rebounds per game in SEC play and shooting 60.5 percent from the field. His physical play could be a problem for UK based on what other conference teams have done to the Cats.
“He plays hard, he competes, he battles, he runs the floor, he defends and he doesn’t back down,” the Tennessee coach said. “He is a strong, physical player that competes at a high level every game. He doesn’t demand the ball. If he does not get it, he gets it off the glass or sprints the floor. I just like the way he competes.”
His play is vital to Florida’s defense.
“Florida is probably the best defensive team we have seen all season. Nobody sticks out because they play well as a team. All their guys compete at a high level and not every team can do that,” Martin said.