Most Recent Posts
- Cats return To Rupp for month, won’t travel again until Jan. 11
- Matthew Mitchell on ‘dynamic’ Duke, NCAA seeding, Rupp crowd, Stallworth, Epps and more
- BBN Cares helps special UK fan get chance to see Cats play Belmont
- Future UK running back Mikel Horton named to Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl
- Stoops says “comfort level is much greater” at Kentucky now
- Draft analyst Ed Isaacson says UK freshmen are “very low on the learning curve of actual basketball knowledge”
- Calipari on inspiring players, more emotional bench, Anthony Davis, Belmont and more
- Cauley-Stein says change coming because “Cal’s going to get it out of us”
By LARRY VAUGHT
With the Kentucky football coaching rumors continuing to increase, Lonny Demaree of Kentucky Sports Report (kysportsreport.com) dropped a new name in a big way into the discussion during an appearance with Larry Glover on WVLK (590 AM) Thursday night.
He says sources are telling him that Arizona coach Rich Rodriquez has “risen to the top of Mitch Barnhart’s list” because he has an exciting offense that can score, has solid recruiting ties and can excite fans.
He’s the former coach at West Virginia who left there to coach Michigan, where he failed miserably. He was 15-22 at Michigan — and the program was hit with four NCAA major violations — before he was dismissed. He’s resurfaced at Arizona, a job one current college coach told me Thursday was “a job 10 times better than Kentucky” when I asked him about Rodriquez. He also told me he thought there was about a $3 million buyout on his contract with Arizona that UK would have to probably pay along with the nearly $3 million it has to give Joker Phillips.
Another rumor that keeps growing is that former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher has interest in the job, something several sources continue to tell me is not true.
Phil Fulmer? The stories about the former Tennessee coach being high on Barnhart’s list won’t go away and there is no doubt Fulmer has made it clear he would like the job.
Bobby Petrino? It seems like this is over and now there is talk some media outlets might be trying to obtain emails between UK officials over the coaching search that could possibly include some interesting observations on Petrino.
Kirby Smart? The Alabama defensive coordinator’s name seems to be fading away, but some are now saying LSU defensive coordinator John Chavis could be in play. Again, not sure I really buy that.