Most Recent Posts
- Kentucky Wildcats TV: UK Coach John Calipari talks after loss to Florida
- Behind “attack” mentality, No. 12 Kentucky takes down No. 5 South Carolina, 68-58
- UK Hoops advances to SEC Tourney finals with 68-58 win over South Carolina
- Postgame notes from Kentucky’s 84-65 loss at Florida
- Go To Bat Against Breast Cancer and be Honorary Bat Girls for Reds
- Top-ranked Florida runs the table in SEC play with 84-65 win over Kentucky
- High school coach says he’s heard “no NBA talk” from Andrew or Aaron Harrison
- Playing No. 1 Florida “just going to be another game” for James Young
By LARRY VAUGHT
On the SEC coaches teleconference Monday, I asked South Carolina coach Frank Martin about his general observations on Kentucky, a team he will face Saturday. I knew he had not broken down film on UK with another game before South Carolina faces the Gamecocks, but I also knew he had seen UK on film and was always candid with his comments.
Here’s what he said:
“I think they’re real good, and I don’t think Cal gets the credit he deserves for the job he does. To rely on so many freshmen, to not have those foundation guys – I guess (Alex) Poythress and I can’t remember the young man’s name, (Jarrod) Polson, that they’ve been with them for at least a year, they provide that consistency that he’s looking for,” Martin said.
“But every year, I don’t care if Cal is coaching seniors or freshmen, you don’t want to play them at the end of the year because his teams play their best basketball at the end of the year, and that’s obvious with this team that that’s happening.”