Most Recent Posts
- Kentucky fans even took time to throw up the “3 goggles” in the Alps
- Signee Marcus Lee says Kentucky “will refuse to lose next year”
- Even UK football coach Mark Stoops did not expect this much fan support at Kentucky
- Video: UK softball coach Rachel Lawson previews the Super Regional clash against Arizona State
- ESPN.com’s Jason King seems to have logical rankings going into next season
- Mark Stoops on John Calipari: “I love being around him”
- UK football coach Mark Stoops understands that hiring Vince Marrow was a home run for Kentucky
- Video: Larry hears cowbells, makes a chocolate cow and soaks up the culture in Switzerland
Vaughtsviews.com reader Patrick McClure of Danville raises some interesting questions about the way basketball banners are displayed at Rupp Arena.
Here’s the e-mail he sent me:
“Over the weekend I spent some time with my cousin, who unfortunately lives in Raleigh-Durham. We were originally discussing the fact that the number of banners, all of one size, shape, and color, set up in a line at the top of Rupp, devalues each of them, especially the championships. My cousin noted that North Carolina hangs one for EVERY ACC tourney win, regular season title, Sweet 16, Final Four, and even a third-place NIT finish. Only recently did they consolidate the NIT stuff. Ridiculous.
“Since obviously we in no way want to look like those chumps, and back to the original discussion, do you think it would be possible to persuade somebody to offset (like drop down to a second row) the seven NCAA title banners, and/or make them bigger, so they stand out from the other illustrious accomplishments.
“I am glad we donâ€™t celebrate SEC titles like UNC does, but maybe ONE banner for SEC tourney championships and regular season titles is okay, but honestly, at Kentucky, Iâ€™m not even sure we should be hanging banners for Final Fours. But I know we wonâ€™t be taking any banners DOWN. I would probably keep the NIT championship banners, albeit in the upper row, in deference to those early years when the NIT mattered.
“So keeping the other banners in a place of some distinction is an impressive, but not obnoxious, display (like UNCâ€™s), but I really think offsetting the seven championship banners is something that should be strongly considered. Personally I would drop down one set or the other, but in either case make the NCAA title banners bigger, and maybe even a different color/design. Â Any thoughts on that?”
Only that I like the thinking. Anything to make the NCAA championship banners stand out more is worth considering. Actually, I think the Dean Dome at North Carolina is an attractive arena. I liked it when I was there, but I tend to agree with McClure that the championship banners at Rupp Arena don’t stand out as much as they should.
What about you? What suggestions, if any, would you have about the banners, especially since the arena will be renovated soon?