Most Recent Posts
- Draft analyst says strong season could lock Willie Cauley-Stein into lottery, but he must avoid another slump
- A.J. Stamps, J.D. Harmon could bolster UK’s chance to increase interceptions
- Colts DL Bjoern Werner gave “words of wisdom” to Cats, liked way Bud Dupree was “coming off ball”
- SI.com’s Brian Hamilton ranks three Kentucky wins among four best NCAA tourney games this year
- Stan Van Gundy tells Mike Bianchi that John Calipari “had more NBA players” at UK than Lakers do
- Mike Douglas feels like “old man on the block” but knows he can help defensive line
- Trey Lyles has 17 points, Tyler Ulis goes for 9 points, 9 assists in Jordan Brand Classic
- Blue-White Game will be on live TV, delayed on Fox Sports South; Dusty Bonner, Freddie Maggard will join TV/radio call
Editor’s note: Country music singer Eddie Montgomery is a self-proclaimed UK fan and occasionally writes for vaughtviews.com.
By EDDIE MONTGOMERY
When it comes to Rich Brooks, I wonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t lie. When he first came to Kentucky, I didnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t know if he was the right dude. But it has been unbelievable. He went into a hostile environment because people want to know why we didnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t get this coach or that coach instead of him.
University of Kentucky sports is in peopleÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s hearts. We donÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t like losing and we want the best of the best, which I think is great.
I think he has proved he is one of the best of the best. It has been unbelievable what he has done with the program and the kids. You have to give the man credit. I was one of the first ones when he got here saying, Ã¢â‚¬Å“Hold on. Who is Rich Brooks?Ã¢â‚¬Â But I tell you what, he is one hell of a coach.
If Rich does retire, and it seems like he will, then I think Joker (Phillips) can keep it going. He knows the offense. I would love to see us open the offense even more. The players, to me, seem to really relate to him and coach (Randy) Sanders and coach (Chuck) Smith. All the players really relate to the coach. I think they have a gel thing going and it will stay that way. It is University of Kentucky and it is about players and about winning and this is the way we are going to be.
I watched the Music City Bowl at the restaurant (Eddie MontgomeryÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Steakhouse) and it was so great because everybody had their blue on. I had mine on and even had on my wild hat. It was just great to seeing everybody having dinner and then as soon as the game came on all the televisions, people would holler and scream. It was wild. There were a couple of people trying to lead cheers and I was right there with them.
I had so much fun that I think I will watch the Kentucky-Louisville basketball game here, too. I would love to be in both places, but we are going to have a lot of UK fans here and it will be off the hook just like the Music City Bowl was. I just wish Brooks could have won that last game, if it was his last, but IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ll always be grateful for what he did and will always admit I was wrong with my first impression of him.