Most Recent Posts
- Video: UK softball coach Rachel Lawson previews the Super Regional clash against Arizona State
- ESPN.com’s Jason King seems to have logical rankings going into next season
- Mark Stoops on John Calipari: “I love being around him”
- UK football coach Mark Stoops understands that hiring Vince Marrow was a home run for Kentucky
- Video: Larry hears cowbells, makes a chocolate cow and soaks up the culture in Switzerland
- Video: UK offensive coordinator Neal Brown talks about recruiting the home state of Kentucky
- What role did Drew Barker’s mother play in his athletic development?
- Calipari will be keynote speaker at Iba Awards June 3 in Tulsa
By LARRY VAUGHT
Recently Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari once again took time to talk to Kentucky National Guard troops overseas via a Skype call from the UK basketball office.
“Coach Cal and Major General Tonini have done this in the past and worked together to continue the tradition,” said the National Guard’s Freddie Maggard, a former UK quarterback.
Maggard says it “means the world” to the troops for Calipari to take time for them.
“As a Commonwealth, we have Kentucky National Guard Soldiers and Airmen stationed across the world. Being able to communicate with Coach Cal brings a sense of home to them a care package doesn’t reach,” Maggard said. “I can’t thank Coach Cal and his staff enough for these video conversations. I understand how busy he is as well as the team. To take a few minutes out of their schedule to speak to our Soldiers speaks volumes to the man Coach Cal is.
And what did Maggard think of Calipari after spending a morning with him?
“Intensely focused, detailed oriented man. I’ve heard the saying that UK is a player’s first program several times. After getting a small glimpse into the program, I can honestly say that it is a true statement. I’ve been around many coaches in my life, I can’t say I’ve met one that cares as deeply about his players as Coach Cal does,” Maggard said.