Most Recent Posts
- Dakari Johnson’s mother appreciates opportunities her son had, looks forward to future at UK
- Kentucky center Dakari Johnson to return for sophomore season
- Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops not only watches Kentucky practice, but puts on UK pullover
- Receiver Jeff Badet has broken fibula, receiver A.J. Legree “gonna quit and go play somewhere else”
- Jojo Kemp: “I’m trying to make this like high school again”
- Alex Poythress to return to Kentucky for junior season
- Jordan Swindle improving, becoming leader going against “freak” Bud Dupree in practice
- Julius Randle knew he had to sacrifice just like others for Kentucky to succeed
By LARRY VAUGHT
It’s about time to face the obvious with Kentucky football when it comes to the UK fan base.
The fans were upset with Joker Phillips and his team’s play, but there’s no doubt in my mind that they are more upset with the Kentucky administration and its perceived lack of commitment to the football program. It is everything from the game day experience at Commonwealth Stadium to lack of promotion for the Blue-White Game to lack of funding for things like a new recruiting room.
Football fans watch coach John Calipari demand that basketball be the “gold standard” for the sport and see fantastic fundraising efforts to make sure that happens. When it comes to basketball, there are never the same hurdling blocks for funding.
Now the coaching search is infuriating fans even more because no UK official will talk. Instead, Phillips has had to answer all the questions and face the media and fans by himself. He’s done it with no bitterness and more class than anyone I’ve ever been around in the same situation, but talk about leaving a coach on an island by himself. That just is unfair and UK officials should be ashamed of doing that.
Tell us a timetable for a new coach. Tell us what is being looked at in the new coach. Tell us what financial restraints there will be or not be. Tell us what kind of commitment there will be to football facility-wise.
I also believe that if UK officials suddenly think Commonwealth Stadium is going to be full of fans next year they are in for a big surprise. The fans are not going to pack the stadium unless UK does make a home run hire because they are so upset with the commitment to football.