Most Recent Posts
- Andrew Harrison “knew coming in it was going to be my responsibility” to run team
- Calipari on Poythress: “He went from good to really good to great (in pracitce)”
- Calipari says Aaron Harrison has had “an edge to him that we need everybody to have”
- UK target Matt Elam on signee Drew Barker: “I am very comfortable with him because he is a laid-back kid”
- NBAdraftblog’s Isaacson says Andrew Harrison hasn’t shown “he is capable” of being NBA point guard
- Stoops says the “bonding” in 2014 recruiting class is “very unique”
- Caldwell County QB Elijah Sindelar says college choice based on what God wants, education and how he feels about staff
- Stoops on Hurtt: “That’s too easy of a target for me to go after”
By LARRY VAUGHT
One Kentucky player who doesn’t need an energy boost, or hasn’t one game days, has been freshman running back JoJo Kemp. He is Kentucky’s leading rusher and has the swag about him that Stoops wants from more players.
Kemp has not been discouraged by UK’s 1-2 start going into the Florida game Sept. 28 and says future UK commits should not be, either.
“To those guys who are getting recruited by Kentucky, if they really want to go to a program where they can just change a program around get their name out and be part of something special, this is the place to be,” Kemp, a Florida prep star, said. “When I was getting recruited here, I just always wanted to go to a place where I could make a name for myself.
“I didn’t really want to follow nobody’s footsteps. I just wanted to come to a place where I could say I was part of that team when it was on the rise and Kentucky is a place where the fans love them and the coaches are going to push you and support you. This is the coaching staff to do it with and I am very pleased and happy with my decision.”
He says roommate, Florida receiver Jeff Badet, feels the same way and is the same type explosive playmaker.
“Jeff, he is the man. He is a good player. Every time he gets a chance, he is going to make plays that you won’t expect,” Kemp said. “I know he made some plays in practice that opened my eyes. I know when he gets on the field, he is going to make the best of it as well. We always talk about it. We keep each other motivated and keep pushing. That’s the kind of guy he is.”
What about Alex Montgomery, another freshman receiver from Florida?
“Alex is another one. When he gets his chance, he will do big things as well,” Kemp said.
And what message would Kemp give to future Cats?
“The guys coming in next year, I want them to know if they ain’t ready to work, they better get ready to get their heads on straight. Like I said, Kentucky is on the rise from here on out. We are on the rise,” Kemp said.