Most Recent Posts
- Receiver Jeff Badet has broken fibula, receiver A.J. Legree “gonna quit and go play somewhere else”
- Jojo Kemp: “I’m trying to make this like high school again”
- Alex Poythress to return to Kentucky for junior season
- Jordan Swindle improving, becoming leader going against “freak” Bud Dupree in practice
- Julius Randle knew he had to sacrifice just like others for Kentucky to succeed
- Dakari Johnson appreciated the way Kentucky fans “stuck with us”
- Neal Brown would like one running back to emerge, but okay with running back by committee
- Julius Randle “can’t speak” on what Harrisons will do, but expects UK to have “amazing team” again
By LARRY VAUGHT
Since it seems like I get constant calls, emails and texts about the offensive coordinator position at Kentucky, I’ve spent a lot of time on this potential hire for new coach Mark Stoops.
Obviously with Texas Tech offensive coordinator Neal Brown being a former player at Boyle County and a candidate for the job, much of my time deals with sources who know Brown.
So is he taking the job?
I don’t know. Honestly.
If he was going to accept an offer, I thought it might be done by now because in the last two days several head coaching jobs have opened and at least two places have expressed an interest in interviewing Brown.
But that doesn’t mean he has put taking the job at UK on hold in hopes of becoming a head coach because getting an interview does not guarantee becoming head coach. And based on what offensive coordinators make at many high profile programs, UK could present Brown with a financial package that would be equal or above what a head coaching salary might be if UK wanted to do that.
Also a chance to get closer to home could be a big plus for Brown and his wife, who is also from Boyle County. That would also put their two grandchildren closer to their grandparents in Boyle County.
I also have a pretty good idea of at least a couple of assistant coaches Brown would like to have with him at UK and they would both be great.
But will it happen? I still say it is about 50-50. I think Stoops wants Brown to run his offense. I think Brown will like to run the offense for Stoops. But I’m just not sure UK is ready to fully commit to what it will take to make that happen. However, I do think if this is not done with Brown by maybe Friday night, then odds are both Stoops and Brown will have to look at other options.