Most Recent Posts
- Calipari will be honorary pace car driver for Kentucky Speedway NASCAR race
- Neal Brown on Mobley, Sanders, Miller, Borden, Shields, Kendrick, Timmons and more
- Humphrey “grateful” that Archie Goodwin got to play under John Calipari
- Brown says line, receiver are offensive recruiting needs; OL Kelly commits
- Goodwin getting “postive feedback” from workouts with various NBA teams
- Ohio twins will transfer from Pittsburgh to Kentucky
- Photo Gallery: Alex Poythress at Camp Cal
- Ohio RB Mikel Horton did all he could to help convince Georgia RB Boom Williams to commit to UK
By LARRY VAUGHT
Since it seems like I get constant calls, emails and texts about the offensive coordinator position at Kentucky, I’ve spent a lot of time on this potential hire for new coach Mark Stoops.
Obviously with Texas Tech offensive coordinator Neal Brown being a former player at Boyle County and a candidate for the job, much of my time deals with sources who know Brown.
So is he taking the job?
I don’t know. Honestly.
If he was going to accept an offer, I thought it might be done by now because in the last two days several head coaching jobs have opened and at least two places have expressed an interest in interviewing Brown.
But that doesn’t mean he has put taking the job at UK on hold in hopes of becoming a head coach because getting an interview does not guarantee becoming head coach. And based on what offensive coordinators make at many high profile programs, UK could present Brown with a financial package that would be equal or above what a head coaching salary might be if UK wanted to do that.
Also a chance to get closer to home could be a big plus for Brown and his wife, who is also from Boyle County. That would also put their two grandchildren closer to their grandparents in Boyle County.
I also have a pretty good idea of at least a couple of assistant coaches Brown would like to have with him at UK and they would both be great.
But will it happen? I still say it is about 50-50. I think Stoops wants Brown to run his offense. I think Brown will like to run the offense for Stoops. But I’m just not sure UK is ready to fully commit to what it will take to make that happen. However, I do think if this is not done with Brown by maybe Friday night, then odds are both Stoops and Brown will have to look at other options.