Most Recent Posts
- UK signee Marcus Lee overcame early education struggles to succeed in academics, athletics
- No. 12 Kentucky and No. 5 Arizona State to start best-of-three NCAA Super Regional set Saturday at 10 p.m. ET
- Stoops: Hiring Neal Brown to run Kentucky offense was a “no-brainer for me”
- Nunley, Cumbess Propel No. 12 UK Softball to Super Regionals
- DeCourcy says Julius Randle is “so freaking quick” and powerful he will be special
- UK football coach Mark Stoops on wife: “She gets involved as much as she can in a supportive role”
- Swiss Cat – Vacation notes and photos from Larry from his trip to Switzerland.
- Kentucky softball team earns 40th win to tie school record for most wins in a season
By LARRY VAUGHT
Has Kentucky coach John Calipari changed the way he treats players this year?
Calipari apologized on his Twitter and Facebook pages today for a cursing freshman Terrence Jones during UKÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s loss at Alabama Tuesday night. The tirade was caught on camera and it was not hard to tell what Calipari was saying to Jones, who led UKÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s comeback from a 20-point deficit before the Cats lost by two points.
Earlier today a vaughtsviews.com reader Ã¢â‚¬â€ Chris Ã¢â‚¬â€posted this message:
Ã¢â‚¬Å“Win or lose, I hate to see the coach treat the players like he has been. He likes to say it’s not life or death but he’s been acting as if it is. These young guys are going to lose some games. I’m not saying they need to be coddled but nobody deserves to be verbally abused like Calipari has been doing to this team. It’s like he’s channeling Bob Knight or something.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“Cal’s reputation as a playersÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ coach will be greatly diminished if he keeps acting like a maniac and embarrassing his players on national TV. I hate to see UK lose as much as anyone but he needs to handle himself better with the players. They are just 18-20 year old kids. I would think he could teach them basketball without being so insulting and abusive. If they were his children, he’d be getting a visit from social services.Ã¢â‚¬Â
What do you think? Has Calipari become too abusive? Is he pushing his players too hard?
Or is too much being made of this because the Cats have lost more often this year? Are some folks just looking for a reason to criticize Calipari?
Let me know what you think.