Most Recent Posts
- John Calipari: UK needs Alex Poythress to “do two or three things on offense” and no more
- Kentucky gets the Gator off its back, beats Florida 75-70 in SEC semis
- Willie Cauley-Stein says Cats “obviously 100 percent” believe they can beat No. 1 Florida
- John Calipari has assigned assistants to monitor players’ minutes in games
- Kentucky Wildcats TV: How you approach the end
- John Calipari says Kentucky must “make some jump shots” to play with Florida
- John Calipari: “To have people say this team is done, I just don’t believe it”
- Jarrod Polson, Jon Hood will be “getting in their ears” to tell teammates about March play
By LARRY VAUGHT
Ask John Calipari a simple question and sometimes the coach gives a complex answer.
Here is what the Kentucky coach said Monday night when he was asked how his team rallied after falling behind by 18 points to Miami in the first half.
“The defense turned up a notch. I couldn’t get them early in the game to go up and really play somebody. I said, `Go up and make the guys make plays. You guys are letting them run around and make jump shots,” Calipari said. “Make them make basketball plays. Make them put it on the floor and make plays in traffic.’ That is what they did.
“John Wall pushed up and Eric Bledsoe pushed up and Darius (Miller) pushed up. They didn’t go away. We made our run but they didn’t go away. We were down 18 with a freshman team guys. And every time that we did something they just took the air out of our sails by making a shot.
“We still won the game. There was good here, but I will be honest with you there is no reason to be upset with any of these kids. It all goes back on me. We have to do a better job on shot selection and take care of the ball better. We were out of control I can’t tell you how many times. We need to get inside better but the guys inside have to catch the ball and make a layup. Now they did late in the game because they were exhausted and early in the game we weren’t. You know, deliver the ball and then you catch it with two hands make a play and hit free throws.
“Again, I am happy that we won know. But I think that any time that you can be tested like this is good for your team. This team is going to do really well in the MAC, if they don’t win it they will be one of the teams in the running. Morehead the same way and Sam Houston State is picked to win their league and Rider is too and they have already beaten Mississippi State. Those are our first four games.”
See what I mean. Simple question, complex answer.