Most Recent Posts
- Greater Atlanta UK Alumni Club hosting pep rally at Hawk Walk Friday
- Kentucky players mum on mysterious John Calipari tweak except Cauley-Stein says it is ‘mentality’
- John Calipari “disappointed in me for not doing it earlier” after unknown tweak to UK offense
- WR Blake Bone can be flamboyant, different but he says “my only mission is to catch the ball”
- Julius Randle adds USBWA all-district honor
- Julius Randle SEC freshman of year; James Young, Willie Cauley-Stein honored
- Kris Bentley of Sundy Best says performing at UK “one of the coolest things we’ve ever done”
- John Calipari: “I’ve think we’ve done right by these kids (who have gone to the NBA early”
By LARRY VAUGHT
I’ll have to admit, I was a bit stunned when Jasmine Horton, DeAndre Liggins’ girlfriend, apparently suffered injuries after Liggins allegedly punched her in front of the their 2-year-old son, kicked her and dropped a fan and video game system on her.
Liggins worked so hard to get his chance in the NBA and is now a member of the Oklahoma City Thunder. But he has been accused of domestic assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and domestic abuse in the presence of a minor.
Liggins isn’t guaranteed a contract with the Thunder this year after averaging 1.5 points and 1.4 rebounds in 39 games last season and this could well end his NBA career.
It was not that long ago that Horton posted comments at vaughtsviews.com to let UK fans know how supportive he was of her and their young son during his senior season under John Calipari when UK got to the Final Four in 2011.
She posted then: “He is an amazing dad and although he has been very busy, he does whatever he can for our son. Our son is very alert (for being three months old) and likes to watch games on TV whenever Dre comes up. Dre has taken extra time to be there for his son since his father is deceased and I want everyone to understand that.”
The couple met two years ago at a dorm cafeteria at UK.
“We started out as friends and then began dating. He was really a nice guy. I am a year ahead of him in school and I didn’t even follow basketball until I started dating him,” she told me. “I think it is too bad that more people do not see all of Dre’s personality like I do. He is such a kind, caring person. He would give you the shirt off his back. People judge him too often on his attitude on the court, which for a long time was based on how he was treated by his other coach (Billy Gillispie).”
However, now people are going to judge him on how he treated Horton and that may not be good for Liggins’ career. His attorney said Wednesday he had done nothing wrong and he will be cleared. Let’s hope that is right.