Most Recent Posts
- Kentucky big man Julius Randle: “We don’t know what we’ve got to do but we’ve got to get going”
- UK coach John Calipari: “I didn’t think we had any kind of fight” to start the game
- Miami Heat sign former UK standout DeAndre Liggins to 2nd 10-day contract
- 2014 SEC Tournament Bracket: Cats to play 7 p.m. Friday
- Photos from Kentucky’s 84-65 loss at Florida
- Kentucky Wildcats TV: UK players Julius Randle and Dakari Johnson talk after the loss to Florida
- Kentucky Wildcats TV: UK Coach John Calipari talks after loss to Florida
- Behind “attack” mentality, No. 12 Kentucky takes down No. 5 South Carolina, 68-58
By LARRY VAUGHT
NewÂ York Daily News college writer Dick “Hoops” Weiss said Kentucky coach John Calipari never mentioned Nerlens Noelâ€™s status with him Tuesday during an awards dinner in New York and â€œwas in such a good mood that Iâ€ˆreally donâ€™t think he even knew it was coming.â€ However, the New York Times had a story reporting that NCAA investigators are checking Noelâ€™s background.
â€œI donâ€™t know if it is just routine checking or what. Itâ€™s a little surprising the same paper didnâ€™t write anything about the North Carolina (athletics academic fraud in a class basketball and football players took),â€ Weiss said. â€œI have trouble believing some of the things being checked.â€
The Times reported that NCAA representatives visited Everett High School, where Noel spent two years, and asked about Noelâ€™s relationship with Errol Randolph, a former substitute teacher at Everrett who might have connections to basketball agent Andy Miller. The NCAA also had questions about how Noel paid for unofficial visits to UKâ€ˆand Louisville.
It was no surprise to Weiss that Calipari and UKâ€ˆdirector of compliance Sandy Bell have had no comment on the story.
â€œWhat can they say? Iâ€ˆjust have a hard time believing a kid is that worried about an agent when heâ€™s a freshman or sophomore. Iâ€ˆjust donâ€™t see this turning into a problem for Kentucky,â€ Weiss said.