Most Recent Posts
- Even UK football coach Mark Stoops did not expect this much fan support at Kentucky
- Video: UK softball coach Rachel Lawson previews the Super Regional clash against Arizona State
- ESPN.com’s Jason King seems to have logical rankings going into next season
- Mark Stoops on John Calipari: “I love being around him”
- UK football coach Mark Stoops understands that hiring Vince Marrow was a home run for Kentucky
- Video: Larry hears cowbells, makes a chocolate cow and soaks up the culture in Switzerland
- Video: UK offensive coordinator Neal Brown talks about recruiting the home state of Kentucky
- What role did Drew Barker’s mother play in his athletic development?
By LARRY VAUGHT
Sophomore point guard Ryan Harrow has become the go-to guy for insights about Kentucky basketball and provided plenty of them after Saturday’s loss to Texas A&M.
Question: What does this loss do to the team’s confidence?
Harrow: “I hope it doesn’t mess with anybody’s confidence because we have been working so hard. We just have to go out and be prepared for the next game. We have to keep guys’ morale up in the next practice and just be focused for our next game (Tuesday against Tennessee).”
Question: What kind of message did coach John Calipari have for the team after the game?
Harrow: “He just said more guys need to buy into the system. We just need to make changes.”
Question: What sort of changes?
Harrow: “Just who we are going to play and how we are going to play.”
Question: Do you worry that losses like this could keep you out of the NCAA Tournament?
Harrow: “I don’t worry about it. We are always supposed to make it to the NCAA Tournament. We have to keep that attitude.”
Question: Is there just a different mentality with this team compared to last year’s national championship team?
Harrow: “You have to remember that last year’s team had Darius (Miller) who was a senior, Doron (Lamb) and Terrence (Jones) who had played here one year already. They just had those type guys on the team. They had a little bit more depth. We definitely have had to grow faster.”
Question: Is there any chance some players thought it would be easier this year than what it really is?
Harrow: “I hope that is not the case. I don’t think that is what it was. It’s just a different level of basketball.”
Question: Were expectations too high for this team?
Harrow: “I wouldn’t say that. We have a good team. Everybody is just not buying into the system.”
Question: Did the Thursday night game in Nashville and then quick turnaround to Saturday afternoon game create any physical problems for the team?
Harrow: “I wouldn’t say we were tired, but I know that my body is pretty tired just from a lot of practicing and games back to back and stuff like that.”
Question: Why do you think this far into the season that not all players would buy in to what Calipari is saying?
Harrow: “Most of us are freshmen and sophomores. Just change of mentality from where you were in high school. Some other of coach Cal’s teams have taken off quicker. Last year’s team, Doron came back, Terrence stayed back and Darius was still here and Eloy was still here. It just takes time.”