Most Recent Posts
- Only at Kentucky: Fan can win part ownership in thoroughbred by attending UK game
- Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist could both miss up to 20 games with hand injuries
- Calipari excited for Final Four-like enviroment for Kentucky-Baylor
- Calipari on potential bad weather in Dallas, UK players going back to Texas
- Calipari admits “I am concerned” about Jon Hood after concussion
- Gill-Caesar likes UK’s winning tradition, way Calipari doesn’t “sugar-coat” anything
- Video: UK offensive coordinator Neal Brown talks about JoJo Kemp, and improving the offensive line for next season
- Calipari says Cauley-Stein “knows he can go get it” and block shots now
Vaught’s note: I am not sure anyone came from a greater distance than Jennifer Dunn to attend the UK Women’s Clinic Sunday or have to make more extensive travel arrangements to enjoy the event with her daughter and the Cats.
By JENNIFER DUNN
The excitement has started! Along with my oldest daughter, Amanda, I attended the annual Coach Cal’s Women’s Clinic on Sunday. For the past four years, this has been our official start to the new Wildcat basketball season. Each year, although different, has been the perfect kick-off.
In previous years, we have listened to guest speakers and last year we learned how to run the Dribble Drive offense. This year’s clinic featured a nearly two hour practice by the 2013-14 Wildcats. The team, minus Willie Cauley-Stein, participated in numerous warm-ups, drills and ran a short scrimmage. The scrimmage showcased the athleticism and talent of this year’s squad. The 651 ladies in attendance were the first people, other than a few NBA scouts, to see this team practice!
After the practice, we were divided into three groups. Assistant coaches John Robic, Rock Oliver, Orlando Antigua, and Kenny Payne rotated between the groups. The women attending were given a chance to participate in the exercises and drills that the players do in practice.
At the end of the clinic, Coach Cal and the players were available for autographs. And as a parting gift, each camp participant was given a piece of the New Orleans 2012 Championship floor!