Most Recent Posts
- Video: UK offensive coordinator Neal Brown talks about working with head coach Mark Stoops
- Dallas Prime Prep will bring marquee players Mudiay, Thomas, Ferguson to Marshall County Hoop Fest
- Father had biggest impact on Mark Stoops’ coaching career and life
- UK coach John Calipari has no regrets about giving certain players more than one chance last year even when it hurt the team
- Florida forward Will Yeguete likes Cauley-Stein’s athleticism and way he plays the game
- UK coach John Calipari believes team’s competitive spirit “will drag us to where we’re trying to go”
- ESPN analysts Fran Franschilla and Chad Ford predict Archie Goodwin to be “developmental player” next season
- Mark Stoops: “We’ll be ready” for opening game with Western Kentucky
By LARRY VAUGHT
Here is more with Archie Goodwin from Saturday:
Question: How close is this team to reaching its potential?
Goodwin: “I don’t know. I think we still have a little ways to go, especially with one of our guys (Willie Cauley-Stein) out right now. But once we get him back and get him back in the groove of things, we have to continue to communicate on the court and continue to figure guys out it is going to be something special.”
Question: Does this team sometimes play not to lose?
Goodwin: “I would say somewhat, but it is just a matter of us executing and knowing we have each other’s back no matter what happens. As soon as we figure out that no matter what happens we have each other’s back, then I think that will go away.”
Question: What is causing this team to let big leads slip away?
Goodwin: “Just us not executing and letting them get easy buckets on the other end. That is something we have to continue to do. We have to learn to play a whole 40 minutes. The last five minutes we seem to let loose and loosen up. That is something we have to continue to work on and stay focused the entire game.”
Question: What did you think when you were not in the game once in the final minute on offense?
Goodwin: “It was just me subbing in and out. Just to get Kyle (Wiltjer) in there, another knockdown free throw shooter. I guess that is what he was doing subbing offense and defense.”
Question: Have you made the progress you expected this season?
Goodwin: “I think I am a better player. Just trying to play under control, I think I am doing a better job of that. Just trying to look for my teammates more and being the guy that can attack and help this team as well.”
Question: How much do you expect to guard the opposing team’s best perimeter scorer?
Goodwin: “It is something I take on and I will continue to want to take on and hopefully I can continue to get better at it and just continue to make things tougher for the opposing player that I am guarding. Not trying to steal balls, but just making him take tough shots.”
Question: What could getting a marquee-type win at Mississippi Tuesday mean?
Goodwin: “We just have to go out guard and compete. Listen to the game plan and execute and the rest will take care of itself.”