Most Recent Posts
- Calipari will be honorary pace car driver for Kentucky Speedway NASCAR race
- Neal Brown on Mobley, Sanders, Miller, Borden, Shields, Kendrick, Timmons and more
- Humphrey “grateful” that Archie Goodwin got to play under John Calipari
- Brown says line, receiver are offensive recruiting needs; OL Kelly commits
- Goodwin getting “postive feedback” from workouts with various NBA teams
- Ohio twins will transfer from Pittsburgh to Kentucky
- Photo Gallery: Alex Poythress at Camp Cal
- Ohio RB Mikel Horton did all he could to help convince Georgia RB Boom Williams to commit to UK
Vaught’s note: Vaughtsviews.com regular James Boyers found our conversation on WLAP’s Sunday Morning Sports Talk almost more than he could take when it was suggested that former Louisville and Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino might be a good coach at UK. Boyers was so inspired after listening to Mark Buerger, Anthony White and myself that he put together these thoughts.
By JAMES BOYERS
I was listening to you guys and I agree 1,000,000% with Mark about Petrino. That would probably put an end to my football fandom as well. It’s already on life support, with the doctor’s hand on the plug.
What the hell is wrong with all these fans who want to hire him? Do you think they are really serious, or are they just venting and can’t think clearly? Anyone who truly wants to hire that lawsuit/infraction/death penalty in waiting have to be delusional. I don’t want to be the Texas Tech of football and repeat everybody else’s mistake.
I would keep Joker all day, every day and twice on Sunday, rather than hire someone like Petrino. At least Joker has integrity, loyalty and won’t embarrass us OFF the field. I’m sorry, but I just don’t see it as that big of a deal. I like college football and I love the University of Kentucky, but they are now and always will be a basketball school. This isn’t the 40′s and 50′s. Paul Bryant and George Blanda aren’t walking through that door.
UK will never be able to recruit well enough to win an SEC or BCS title, no matter how much money they throw at a coach or facilities. It is just reality and a lot of fans seem totally myopic and want to believe otherwise. I think the best UK can ever hope for, is to be competitive against the bottom half of the league. I think it was you that pointed out that, even at their best, that’s all they ever were under Brooks.
I just wondered if you think these people are for real. It’s scary to think they might be. Talk about selling your soul for a few wins. And that’s ALL it would be, is a few extra wins. It isn’t going to make much of a difference, in the grand scheme of things. Especially when weighed against the monumental, potential downside. I would hope UK has more common sense than to even entertain thoughts of such a move.