Most Recent Posts
- Numbers project a 75-68 Kentucky win over Baylor
- Jaleel Hytchye talks freshman year playing time, Stoops’ unsportsmanlike penalty
- Some story lines — from Baylor perspective — for tonight’s Kentucky game
- Randle on no double-double: “I’m all about winning. That’s why I came here.”
- Randle on Cauley-Stein: “He’s going to lead with his actions or how hard he plays”
- Baylor’s Austin: “Drew is just as great a coach as coach Calipari” and UK isn’t “any better than us”
- UK TV Video: Coach John Calipari pre-Baylor press conference
- Calipari on Floreal: “I had a football coach come in and say he could play in the NFL”
By LARRY VAUGHT
BIRMINGHAM — ESPN analyst Jimmy Dykes, a former UK assistant coach, is not sure Kentucky will have a “best” player this season.
“I don’t think even they know if there is a best player and I don’t think there will be one,” Dykes said. “I think it could change. James Young is a terrific talent. Julius Randle is destined to be one of the top two picks in the next NBA draft. The Harrison twins. I think it will be a combination of guys and I think if you are Kentucky, that’s what you want.
“I don’t think you want one guy to be ‘the guy.’ If they are going to win a championship like I think they are capable of doing, they probably need to look a lot like the 2012 (national championship) team that all averaged eight to 10 shots a game and different guy in double figures every night and played together.
“I think Kentucky’s best player this year is going to be John Calipari making sure that they don’t have one best player.”