Most Recent Posts
- Big Blue Weekend featuring Blue-White Game has something for everyone
- Dakari Johnson thankful for memories, eager to win national title and continue studies
- SEC commissioner Mike Slive expects vote on adding 9th SEC football game at spring meetings
- Vince Marrow to UK fans: Blue-White attendance has big impact on recruiting
- Guest post: Fan has his solution for one-and-done dilemma for NBA, NCAA and players
- Dakari Johnson’s mother appreciates opportunities her son had, looks forward to future at UK
- Kentucky center Dakari Johnson to return for sophomore season
- Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops not only watches Kentucky practice, but puts on UK pullover
By LARRY VAUGHT
Two weeks ago it looked like Matt Elam was going to commit to Kentucky. In fact, I was almost sure he would.
Instead, the mammoth John Hardin defensive tackle opted not to make his decision at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio — something he had said he would do for months. Now he’ll be taking an official visit to Alabama this weekend as he tries to decide whether to pick Kentucky or Alabama unless he’s had a change of heart and added another school to his list that no one knows about.
Kentucky signees and commits were sure Elam was going to pick Kentucky. Word was he was even trying to recruit other players to join him at UK while he was in San Antonio. But once he called off his commitment, others in his recruiting class seem to have distanced themselves from him a bit and no longer does he seem part of the inner circle of UK commits like he once did.
Elam is the No. 9 overall player in the class of 2014 in the 24/7 Sports recruiting services and would give UK a marquee in-state recruit like Jason Hatcher and Ryan Timmons did last year. Kentucky already has Conner quarterback Drew Barker on campus and adding Elam would be a PR boost.
However, several sources close to UK football believe Elam now is a definite Alabama lean — and one source sent me these photos to show Elam and those close to him obviously like Alabama. In fairness, Elam wore a UK shirt the day former Louisville coach Charlie Strong came to his school and wore an Alabama shirt and UK jacket when he came to a Kentucky game. He’s a player that enjoys the recruiting process and social media interaction. However, seeing those close to him decked out in Alabama gear has made many wonder now if Elam is not more likely Alabama-bound than UK-bound as it once appeared.