Most Recent Posts
- This year John Calipari says the SEC Tournament is important for UK’s mojo
- High school coordinator on UK WR signee Blake Bone: “He doesn’t get caught”
- Kentucky big man Julius Randle: “We don’t know what we’ve got to do but we’ve got to get going”
- UK coach John Calipari: “I didn’t think we had any kind of fight” to start the game
- Miami Heat sign former UK standout DeAndre Liggins to 2nd 10-day contract
- 2014 SEC Tournament Bracket: Cats to play 7 p.m. Friday
- Photos from Kentucky’s 84-65 loss at Florida
- Kentucky Wildcats TV: UK players Julius Randle and Dakari Johnson talk after the loss to Florida
By LARRY VAUGHT
Two weeks ago it looked like Matt Elam was going to commit to Kentucky. In fact, I was almost sure he would.
Instead, the mammoth John Hardin defensive tackle opted not to make his decision at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio — something he had said he would do for months. Now he’ll be taking an official visit to Alabama this weekend as he tries to decide whether to pick Kentucky or Alabama unless he’s had a change of heart and added another school to his list that no one knows about.
Kentucky signees and commits were sure Elam was going to pick Kentucky. Word was he was even trying to recruit other players to join him at UK while he was in San Antonio. But once he called off his commitment, others in his recruiting class seem to have distanced themselves from him a bit and no longer does he seem part of the inner circle of UK commits like he once did.
Elam is the No. 9 overall player in the class of 2014 in the 24/7 Sports recruiting services and would give UK a marquee in-state recruit like Jason Hatcher and Ryan Timmons did last year. Kentucky already has Conner quarterback Drew Barker on campus and adding Elam would be a PR boost.
However, several sources close to UK football believe Elam now is a definite Alabama lean — and one source sent me these photos to show Elam and those close to him obviously like Alabama. In fairness, Elam wore a UK shirt the day former Louisville coach Charlie Strong came to his school and wore an Alabama shirt and UK jacket when he came to a Kentucky game. He’s a player that enjoys the recruiting process and social media interaction. However, seeing those close to him decked out in Alabama gear has made many wonder now if Elam is not more likely Alabama-bound than UK-bound as it once appeared.