Most Recent Posts
- Kentucky Wildcats TV: UK players Julius Randle and Dakari Johnson talk after the loss to Florida
- Kentucky Wildcats TV: UK Coach John Calipari talks after loss to Florida
- Behind “attack” mentality, No. 12 Kentucky takes down No. 5 South Carolina, 68-58
- UK Hoops advances to SEC Tourney finals with 68-58 win over South Carolina
- Postgame notes from Kentucky’s 84-65 loss at Florida
- Go To Bat Against Breast Cancer and be Honorary Bat Girls for Reds
- Top-ranked Florida runs the table in SEC play with 84-65 win over Kentucky
- High school coach says he’s heard “no NBA talk” from Andrew or Aaron Harrison
University of Kentucky junior defensive end Alvin “Bud” Dupree and senior linebacker Avery Williamson have been named to the 2013 Coaches’ Preseason All-Southeastern Conference Team as third-team selections, the league office announced Thursday morning.
Dupree is a third-team defensive lineman, while Williamson is a third-team linebacker. The honors are voted on by all 14 league head coaches. Dupree and Williamson have also been named third-team Preseason All-SEC by media attending the 2013 SEC Media Days last month and are on the College Football Performance Awards Defensive Awards Watch List.
Dupree, who will play defensive end this season after splitting time at defensive end and linebacker his first two seasons at UK, enjoyed a strong 2012 season. The Irwinton, Ga., native was a Sophomore All-America Second-Team selection by CollegeFootballNews.com. Phil Steele’s College Football and CollegeFootballMadness.com also named him a 2012 All-SEC performer. Dupree finished top 10 in the SEC in tackles (91), quarterback sacks (6.5) and tackles-for-loss (12.5) last season having started all 12 games. He set a career-high in tackles last season vs. WKU with 12, while he had double-digit tackles at Tennessee with a career-best three tackles-for-loss.
Williamson is coming off a breakout 2012 season, in which he picked up All-SEC honors from Phil Steele’s College Football and CollegeSportsMadness.com. The Milan, Tenn., product is the returning starter at middle linebacker after finishing second in the SEC and seventh nationally with 135 tackles last season. Williamson, who has played in 37 career games, started all 12 games for UK last season, posting eight double-digit tackle games, including a career-best 20 against Vanderbilt. The physical linebacker had a streak of four games with a least 13 tackles, becoming the first Wildcat to do so since Randy Holleran in 1990. Williamson also had 4.5 tackles-for-loss, three sacks, four pass breakups, two fumbles caused, one fumble recovery and an interception last season.
Williamson’s Preseason All-SEC honor is on top of the senior already being named a preseason second-team All-SEC honoree by Phil Steele’s College Football and CollegeSportsMadness.com, as well as listed on the 2013 Butkus Award Preseason Watch List.