Most Recent Posts
- Kentucky “really needed this win” over Boise State
- Kentucky-Boise State postgame notes and numbers
- Live: UK TV delivers livestream of post-Boise State press conferences
- NBA scouts offer takes on what’s wrong with Calipari’s Cats
- Kentucky RB JoJo Kemp plans to keep “grinding” and keep “this ship moving”
- UK signee Devin Booker on Cats: “I feel like toward the end of the year, they’re going to be special”
- James Young: “We can play defense, it’s just we tend to stop sometimes”
- Calipari on defense: “It starts with your point guard. If he can’ t pressure the ball, then someone else has to be playing;
By LARRY VAUGHT
During the recent National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association awards ceremony in Salisbury, N.C., I got to meet and spend time with Bob Harris, the radio voice of Duke football and basketball since 1976. He’s broadcast over 400 Duke football games and more than 1,200 basketball games, including four NCAA championships.
What I like about him is that he describes himself “as a fan with a microphone”and readily admits how much he enjoys his job. He’s also good friends with Lexington’s Doug Flynn and annually comes to Lexington in June to play in Flynn’s charity golf tournament.
He’s maybe best known for his call of Christian Laettner’s buzzer-beating shot over Kentucky in the 1992 NCAA East Region final in what many still consider the greatest college basketball game ever played. His call of the shot was so good that it normally is used with TV promos of the shot at NCAA Tournament time.
“They throw it the length of the floor … Laettner catches, comes down, dribbles, shoots … Scores!! … Christian Laettner has hit the bucket at the buzzer! The Blue Devils win it 104 to 103. Look out Minneapolis. Here comes the Blue Devils!” His autobiography, “How Sweet It Is! From the Cotton Mill to the Crow’s Nest,” even includes a chapter on “The Shot” that still eats at UK fans.
During our conversation, he talks about the upcoming UK-Duke matchup in November, his feelings on an annual UK-Duke series and more.