Most Recent Posts
- Brumbaugh understands junior college talent, feels he can bring JUCO players to UK
- Volleyball training, personality will both help Marcus Lee at Kentucky
- UK coach Mark Stoops was patient with Neal Brown because he was “all-in” on hiring him
- UK signee Marcus Lee overcame early education struggles to succeed in academics, athletics
- No. 12 Kentucky and No. 5 Arizona State to start best-of-three NCAA Super Regional set Saturday at 10 p.m. ET
- Stoops: Hiring Neal Brown to run Kentucky offense was a “no-brainer for me”
- Nunley, Cumbess Propel No. 12 UK Softball to Super Regionals
- DeCourcy says Julius Randle is “so freaking quick” and powerful he will be special
By LARRY VAUGHT
During the recent National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association awards ceremony in Salisbury, N.C., I got to meet and spend time with Bob Harris, the radio voice of Duke football and basketball since 1976. He’s broadcast over 400 Duke football games and more than 1,200 basketball games, including four NCAA championships.
What I like about him is that he describes himself “as a fan with a microphone”and readily admits how much he enjoys his job. He’s also good friends with Lexington’s Doug Flynn and annually comes to Lexington in June to play in Flynn’s charity golf tournament.
He’s maybe best known for his call of Christian Laettner’s buzzer-beating shot over Kentucky in the 1992 NCAA East Region final in what many still consider the greatest college basketball game ever played. His call of the shot was so good that it normally is used with TV promos of the shot at NCAA Tournament time.
“They throw it the length of the floor … Laettner catches, comes down, dribbles, shoots … Scores!! … Christian Laettner has hit the bucket at the buzzer! The Blue Devils win it 104 to 103. Look out Minneapolis. Here comes the Blue Devils!” His autobiography, “How Sweet It Is! From the Cotton Mill to the Crow’s Nest,” even includes a chapter on “The Shot” that still eats at UK fans.
During our conversation, he talks about the upcoming UK-Duke matchup in November, his feelings on an annual UK-Duke series and more.