The Next Big Game!

  • UK FB Blue-White Game:
    in 1 day, 9 hours, 34 minutes

Larry on Twitter

Google+

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) — Duke says the NCAA did not find any wrongdoing after looking into a jewelry purchase of nearly $100,000 by a basketball player on the Blue Devils’ most recent national championship team. The school issued a statement Tuesday saying the NCAA and the university found no evidence of a rules violation based on the information available. It added that Duke and the NCAA “consider the matter closed.”

Former player Lance Thomas was sued in a Texas court for failing to pay a balance of nearly $68,000 for jewelry he purchased from a New York jeweler in December 2009 — 3 1/2 months before the Blue Devils won their fourth national title. Thomas was the starting power forward on that team.

The lawsuit was filed in January 2012 and was settled under confidential terms in September, roughly 1 1/2 weeks after its existence was made public. It was filed in Austin, Texas, because Thomas — who went undrafted after his Duke career ended in 2010 — was playing for the Austin Toros of the NBA Developmental League at the time.

According to the lawsuit, Thomas purchased $97,800 worth of jewelry from Rafaello & Co., which also does business as A+A Diamonds Ltd. An invoice dated Dec. 21, 2009, indicated that Thomas made a $30,000 down payment and agreed to pay the balance in 15 days.

15 Responses to Duke: No wrongdoing in player’s jewelry purchase

  • LindaS says:

    What a crock.

  • Anonymous says:

    “They found no evidence??????????” Were they really looking for any?????????? This could conceivably match the “one bullet” theory!

  • UKFAN197TONE says:

    Just as the NCAA and the Mr. T starter kit purchaser said, “nothing to see here folks, keep it moving.”

  • King Ghidora says:

    They found no evidence that Corey Maggette took money from an agent too. Well except for that whole confession thing.

  • UKFMLY says:

    “Based on the evidence available” ROFLMFAO. THE BIG BUCKS WERE ROLLED OUT! ! Neither of the parties involved would speak to the NCAA. The suit was settled the player and the owner both REFUSED to speak. what ever happened to the NCAA standard that said “if people not involved in the situation in any way when given all the information available feel that rules have been broken then we must act”. Or something like that. If you can find 12 people that don’t believe that this smells fishy based just on the information available I GIVE UP. My only question is where did the $30,000 come from and why would ANY jewelry store owner just hand out $100,000 in jewelry to a college senior. If the jewelry store does not give out those same types of loans to all student isn’t that an unfair benefit which is a NCAA violation. It’s like getting a free meal at Joe B’s if you are a UK player(just a really, really, really expensive dinner).

    The ncaa is full of crap. Bring on the SUPER CONFERENCE. The emperor has not cloths! ! !

    KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

    GO BLUE OR STAY HOME

  • Anonymous says:

    As usual, the NCAA was late and a dollar short—April Fool’s day was last month!

  • RheaBaker says:

    Who the hell ever thought that there would be an investigation? If rat face or Roy boy are involved as far as the Non Caring A-holes Association led by Mark Emmert(the lead A-hole) there is no story! End of story!

  • Juan4UK says:

    Totally predictable.

  • MikeF says:

    No doubt handled by the same NCAA investigator that was assigned to the Corey Maggette issue, it smelled so bad they did not want to approach it……

  • cats79 says:

    As long as coach K is there, NCAA will not touch them he’s the 2nd john wooden era.

  • Larry Pup says:

    Different rules for different schools.

  • TrueBlueJohn says:

    What do you think would have happened if it had been John Wall or Anthony Davis?

  • Scott says:

    “…no evidence of a rules violation based on the information available.” So, now that this is the new standard, can we expect Memphis to hang their 2008 runner-up banner soon?

  • Hugh Ward says:

    I think Larry Pup summed it up well. As the old saying goes “It is obvious to the most casual observer.” For years, certain schools have been kept under a microscope and, and other schools allowed to escape with obvious violations (including confessions). If the NCAA was a police force, they would be under constant investigation for graft and corruption. In the Duke case, the NCAA verdict was determined when the news first broke. In fact, I am surprised they even delayed the response. Why not just announce, “It’s Duke, not guilty”. Of course, the next “Not guilty of anything” will be for UNC.

  • TrueBlueJohn says:

    Let’s see.

    UNC commits academic fraud in both basketball and football over several years.
    Not guilty.

    Duke has two different cases of players receiving money ranging from $60,000 to $100,000.
    Not guilty.

    Enes Kanter’s father takes expense money and puts it in an account just in case that it needs to be returned, which is half of what Cory Maggette stuck in his pocket.
    Banned for life by the NCAA.

    Even-handed justice??????

catalist

For IPhones/IPads, and new for Android devices, the Catalist app by Larry Vaught is the best way to keep up with UK basketball. It's free!

Archives

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.