Most Recent Posts
- NBAdraftblog.com’s Ed Isaacson sees Andrew, Aaron Harrison in lower part of NBA first round
- Quarterback Jalen Whitlow’s transfer best for him and Kentucky, too
- Neal Brown “disappointed” but understands why QB Jalen Whitlow will transfer rather than change positions
- Karl Towns expects to have a “blast” playing at UK with Willie Cauley-Stein
- UK offensive line not ready to “manhandle people in the SEC” but Mark Stoops expects improvement
- UK announces quarterback Jalen Whitlow plans to transfer
- Sports Illustrated rates Trey Lyles as top five player, intriguing point-forward for Kentucky
- Guest post: After surprising finish, now is not the time to judge players who leave for NBA
By LARRY VAUGHT
Sporting News columnist Mike DeCourcy shares his thoughts on the importance of Julius Mays to this year’s Kentucky team and what intrigues him about freshman Willie Cauley-Stein.
Question: What impact do you think transfer Julius Mays will make on this team?
DeCourcy: “We’re talking about someone who already has averaged double-figures at the Division I level, and who was originally recruited at the high-major level. So even though his success came in a lesser league than the SEC, it’s not as though no one ever expected he could survive here. I would expect he’ll provide a nice touch off the bench, something UK will need. Even with last year’s short rotation, bringing Darius Miller off the bench was a huge advantage for the Cats. I don’t think Mays will be that good, but then, I don’t think any team this season will be as imposing as last year’s UK squad.”
Question: Who is the one player that intrigues you the most on this Kentucky team?
DeCourcy: “I guess I’d have to say Willie Cauley-Stein since that’s who everbody, especially John (Calipari), is talking about. I saw him in the summer before his senior year and thought he was an impressive athlete for someone his size. In more than two decades of watching players on the summer circuit, I’ve seen lots of those. What more does he have? Is he hungry? Does he love the game? Will he take some punishment? Does he have any offense? That’s what I want to see over the next month or two.”