Most Recent Posts
- Brumbaugh understands junior college talent, feels he can bring JUCO players to UK
- Volleyball training, personality will both help Marcus Lee at Kentucky
- UK coach Mark Stoops was patient with Neal Brown because he was “all-in” on hiring him
- UK signee Marcus Lee overcame early education struggles to succeed in academics, athletics
- No. 12 Kentucky and No. 5 Arizona State to start best-of-three NCAA Super Regional set Saturday at 10 p.m. ET
- Stoops: Hiring Neal Brown to run Kentucky offense was a “no-brainer for me”
- Nunley, Cumbess Propel No. 12 UK Softball to Super Regionals
- DeCourcy says Julius Randle is “so freaking quick” and powerful he will be special
By LARRY VAUGHT
Sporting News columnist Mike DeCourcy shares his thoughts on the importance of Julius Mays to this year’s Kentucky team and what intrigues him about freshman Willie Cauley-Stein.
Question: What impact do you think transfer Julius Mays will make on this team?
DeCourcy: “We’re talking about someone who already has averaged double-figures at the Division I level, and who was originally recruited at the high-major level. So even though his success came in a lesser league than the SEC, it’s not as though no one ever expected he could survive here. I would expect he’ll provide a nice touch off the bench, something UK will need. Even with last year’s short rotation, bringing Darius Miller off the bench was a huge advantage for the Cats. I don’t think Mays will be that good, but then, I don’t think any team this season will be as imposing as last year’s UK squad.”
Question: Who is the one player that intrigues you the most on this Kentucky team?
DeCourcy: “I guess I’d have to say Willie Cauley-Stein since that’s who everbody, especially John (Calipari), is talking about. I saw him in the summer before his senior year and thought he was an impressive athlete for someone his size. In more than two decades of watching players on the summer circuit, I’ve seen lots of those. What more does he have? Is he hungry? Does he love the game? Will he take some punishment? Does he have any offense? That’s what I want to see over the next month or two.”