Most Recent Posts
- Guest Post: Maybe it’s time for fans to quit setting young Cats up for failure
- Stoops on Drew Barker: “I expect him to come in from day one and compete for the starting job”
- Stoops expects JUCO signees Johnson, Stamps — who picked UK over Ohio State — to help defense immediately
- UK assistant coach Kenny Payne knows adjustments Cats must make, especially on defense, to avoid being “up and down”
- UK recruiting targe Matt Elam likes having Cats coach Mark Stoops as “my chauffeur” in his Mercedes
- Draft analyst doesn’t think UK’s James Young has played like first-round pick yet
- Gym rat Montaque Gill-Caesar likes the family atmosphere at Huntington Prep, still waiting on reclassifying decision
- Matt Elam has reasons for wanting to be like Tim Couch
By LARRY VAUGHT
This is part of a series with Kentucky head football coach Mark Stoops based on a recent interview with him that I hope will offer insights into his personality and philosophies that you have not read about before.
Question: What makes you and defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot such a good combo?
Stoops: “For our system to be successful — as successful as we were at Florida State — we had to be great up front. D.J. has a background. He’s been with me at several different stops, so his roots of what his core of defensive thought process and defensive system goes all the way back with me all the way to Wyoming. He’s been with me at Wyoming, Houston, Miami, and then we reconnected at Florida State. He had several jobs in between and I also, where I was – I guess I was just at Arizona during that time. So he understands me very well. He understands the core of our system and then he’s very bright so he can bring in new ideas. We always constantly are trying to grow, so D.J. was a great fit for here, especially with his knowledge of the front and my knowledge of the back end.
Question: Are you and D.J. good friends off the field?
Stoops: “We are. We are good friends off the field. Our families are friends. Spending all that time together.”