Most Recent Posts
- Quarterback Jalen Whitlow’s transfer best for him and Kentucky, too
- Neal Brown “disappointed” but understands why QB Jalen Whitlow will transfer rather than change positions
- Karl Towns expects to have a “blast” playing at UK with Willie Cauley-Stein
- UK offensive line not ready to “manhandle people in the SEC” but Mark Stoops expects improvement
- UK announces quarterback Jalen Whitlow plans to transfer
- Sports Illustrated rates Trey Lyles as top five player, intriguing point-forward for Kentucky
- Guest post: After surprising finish, now is not the time to judge players who leave for NBA
- D.J. Eliot counting on Stamps; more on Khalid Henderson, Bud Dupree, Blake McClain, J.D. Harmon, Regie Meant
By LARRY VAUGHT
The national signing period for basketball players opens Wednesday and there is still no real clue about what No. 1 prospect Andrew Wiggins is going to do. For months I have thought he would be part of UK’s star-studded recruiting class. And he may still be.
However, the longer this goes, the more I wonder if Kansas, North Carolina or Florida State might not be his final choice.
Here are points that worry me:
— If Wiggins was going to pick Kentucky, why wait? Six other McDonald’s All-Americans made their choices.
— If Wiggins was going to pick Kentucky, wouldn’t he be wanting to bond with Aaron and Andrew Harrison, Julius Randle, Dakari Johnson, James Young and Marcus Lee during the national all-star games instead of letting those six get to know each other better and him not being part of that.
— If Wiggins picks Kentucky, could it end up creating chemistry issues with too many players — a problem most every coach would love to have. But would future teammates not appreciate how long it has taken him to make this decision?
There is no source to explain where Wiggins is going. Everyone has a theory, but no one has an answer. Two college coaches I talked to Thursday insisted that they don’t think Wiggins has told anyone where he’s going.
So what do you think? Is this long wait good or bad for Kentucky with Wiggins?