Most Recent Posts
- Kentucky-Boise State postgame notes and numbers
- Live: UK TV delivers livestream of post-Boise State press conferences
- NBA scouts offer takes on what’s wrong with Calipari’s Cats
- Kentucky RB JoJo Kemp plans to keep “grinding” and keep “this ship moving”
- UK signee Devin Booker on Cats: “I feel like toward the end of the year, they’re going to be special”
- James Young: “We can play defense, it’s just we tend to stop sometimes”
- Calipari on defense: “It starts with your point guard. If he can’ t pressure the ball, then someone else has to be playing;
- Cal on lack of bench play: “But, I come back to, played guys too many minutes. They’re not ready for that”
By LARRY VAUGHT
CBSSports.com’s college basketball trio of Gary Parrish, Jeff Borzello and Matt Norlander spent the July recruiting period at various NCAA-sanctioned events, where they sat and talked with coaches from all levels of the sport. One question was with all resources being equal, who is the best recruiter in the sport?
John Calipari being No. 1 was no surprise. That he got 49 percent of the vote to just 8 percent for Bill Self, 6 percent for Mike Krzyzewski and 5 percent for Billy Donovan and Buzz Williams dis surprise me.
CBSSports.com used this quote from one coach on Calipari:
“He’s just that good. It’s unfair and generally a waste of time to go up against him. People can speculate all they want about his practices or say that anyone can recruit to Kentucky. They are all signs of jealousy. You have to have skills as a recruiter, a marketer, and a leader to get that many elite-level kids to put aside their egos to play with other great players. It’s not easy when they all want playing time and the spotlight. He gets them to trust his process and to focus on winning. And he has to do it all over again, year after year. That’s not an easy task. He would be a great recruiter at any level of our business. As a matter of fact, he has been.”
Parrish’s conclusion: “Love him or hate him, Calipari is clearly the best.”
He also added this: “It’s an upset any time he misses on someone he seriously desires and targets, at this point. And he doesn’t miss too often.”