Most Recent Posts
- James Young says Kentucky has to be more physical on defense
- UK signee Blake Bone on middle school football, dunking a basketball, academics, work and more
- Greater Atlanta UK Alumni Club hosting pep rally at Hawk Walk Friday
- Kentucky players mum on mysterious John Calipari tweak except Cauley-Stein says it is ‘mentality’
- John Calipari “disappointed in me for not doing it earlier” after unknown tweak to UK offense
- WR Blake Bone can be flamboyant, different but he says “my only mission is to catch the ball”
- Julius Randle adds USBWA all-district honor
- Julius Randle SEC freshman of year; James Young, Willie Cauley-Stein honored
By LARRY VAUGHT
While heÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s an admitted John Calipari fan, there was a time that former Clarion State College coach Joe DeGregorio left Calipari stranded in Philadelphia because he was late for a team bus.
DeGregorio, an ex-Marine who now likes to spend time playing golf with Ã¢â‚¬Å“JohnnyÃ¢â‚¬Â as he calls him, says his team has to travel by vans when it went to play at the time Calipari played for him.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“We were playing Philly Textile, which wasÃ‚Â ranked sixth or something in Division II. At our pregame meal, Johnny wasnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t there. So we went to the game without him,Ã¢â‚¬Â DeGregorio said.
What happened? Where was Calipari? Why was he late?
Ã¢â‚¬Å“He will tell you we had five or six players in a room and he was the last guy in the shower and and a lot of other stuff. We left and that night we sat him out for amount of time after he got to the game,Ã¢â‚¬Â DeGregorio said.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“We lost that game. John now says to his coaching staff if the top seven players are on our bus, thatÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s when we leave. It was a lesson he learned from me that was not really the lesson I wanted to teach.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“But seriously, I taught him about being on time. Ninety-nine percent of the time he was on time, too. We wereÃ‚Â on a tight (time) budget. We did leave him. He had to get his own breakfast, and then we didnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t play him. I am not saying we lost because Johnny did not start because they had good club and they beat us. But he probably still feels that way to this day.Ã¢â‚¬Â