Most Recent Posts
- Greater Atlanta UK Alumni Club hosting pep rally at Hawk Walk Friday
- Kentucky players mum on mysterious John Calipari tweak except Cauley-Stein says it is ‘mentality’
- John Calipari “disappointed in me for not doing it earlier” after unknown tweak to UK offense
- WR Blake Bone can be flamboyant, different but he says “my only mission is to catch the ball”
- Julius Randle adds USBWA all-district honor
- Julius Randle SEC freshman of year; James Young, Willie Cauley-Stein honored
- Kris Bentley of Sundy Best says performing at UK “one of the coolest things we’ve ever done”
- John Calipari: “I’ve think we’ve done right by these kids (who have gone to the NBA early”
By LARRY VAUGHT
Normally John Calipari holds his press conferences before practice on the day before Kentucky plays. Today he changed that — but he had a good reason.
Calipari was in Rupp Arena to watch Madison Central beat Wayne County in the opening game of the state tournament because he wanted to watch Central star Dominique Hawkins play.
Hawkins scored 25 points in an 81-56 win. The 6-1 senior hit 11 of 17 from the floor on mostly layups.
Hawkins’ cousin is former Central and UK standout Marquis Estill, who is now a UK graduate assistant. Hawkins remembers going to watch Estill play in high school
“He has put a bug in their (UK coaches) ear about me. That’s one reason they are calling,” Hawkins said after the game.
He said the UK staff had talked to his coach about scholarship possibilities.
“They have one left, so hopefully they might give it to me,” Hawkins said.
He said he didn’t know how decisions by top five players Julius Randle and Andrew Wiggins, who have UK in their final lists of schools, could impact his chances of joining the Wildcats.
He has four offers, including Western Kentucky and Morehead. He’s visited Western, the first school that offered him a scholarship.