Most Recent Posts
- WR Blake Bone says he has the “size” to play immediately, but knows he will be playing “against men, not boys” at Kentucky
- Single-session seats still available for Kentucky NCAA tourney games in Memorial Coliseum
- James Young says Kentucky has to be more physical on defense
- UK signee Blake Bone on middle school football, dunking a basketball, academics, work and more
- Greater Atlanta UK Alumni Club hosting pep rally at Hawk Walk Friday
- Kentucky players mum on mysterious John Calipari tweak except Cauley-Stein says it is ‘mentality’
- John Calipari “disappointed in me for not doing it earlier” after unknown tweak to UK offense
- WR Blake Bone can be flamboyant, different but he says “my only mission is to catch the ball”
By LARRY VAUGHT
Just as he did after Kentucky beat Eastern Michigan Wednesday, Kentucky coach John Calipari today warned that Providence will be a major test for UK in Sunday nght’s game in Brooklyn.
Providence’s only loss came to Maryland and Calipari said “they run good good stuff, they play hard” and will be a step up in competition for the Wildcats.
“It appears like every game has been a stepping stone (for us in competition) if you take out Michigan State,” Calipari said.
Calipari continued to emphasize the need for his team to show improvement.
“We are not a great execution team, but we are good enough to win,” Calipari said. “We should be shooting better than we are. Part of the reason is probably because we are shooting too many 3’s. The most guys should shoot is four or five, and that’s if you are on fire. The rest of the time we should be driving the ball because that’s how we play.”
Calipari said his coaching goal has always been for his team to commit six or less fouls per half to keep opponents out of the bonus, something that is more difficult to do this year with the way games are being called.
“If we are driving the ball and posting the ball, we should get fouled. We are big. We should be shooting 40 to 50 fouls (shots) a game. Maybe there will be games coming up we shoot 60 if they are calling them all,” Calipari said.