Most Recent Posts
- Greater Atlanta UK Alumni Club hosting pep rally at Hawk Walk Friday
- Kentucky players mum on mysterious John Calipari tweak except Cauley-Stein says it is ‘mentality’
- John Calipari “disappointed in me for not doing it earlier” after unknown tweak to UK offense
- WR Blake Bone can be flamboyant, different but he says “my only mission is to catch the ball”
- Julius Randle adds USBWA all-district honor
- Julius Randle SEC freshman of year; James Young, Willie Cauley-Stein honored
- Kris Bentley of Sundy Best says performing at UK “one of the coolest things we’ve ever done”
- John Calipari: “I’ve think we’ve done right by these kids (who have gone to the NBA early”
By LARRY VAUGHT
John Calipari recruits the nation’s best players, but he’s also not afraid to go against the traditional rankings if he sees a player he likes (Willie Cauley-Stein, Derek Willis, Dominique Hawkins) and he has done that again by offering 5-9 Chicago point guard Tyler Ulis a scholarship. Ulis visited Kentucky Friday and his AAU team Twitter account announced he left with a scholarship offer to go with ones he already has from Michigan State, Florida and Vanderbilt.
He is ranked as the 38th best overall player in the 2014 recruiting class by ESPN.com and the eighth best point guard.
Does this mean Calipari still does not want Emmanuel Mudiay or Tyus Jones, the two highest ranked point guards in the class? Absolutely not. In fact, many still believe UK leads for Mudiay, who will play in the Marshall County Hoop Fest and McCracken County Hoop Fest this season.
But Ulis is really, really quick and can create for teammates. He could be a perfect backup to Mudiay for a year and then take over the point guard spot.