Most Recent Posts
- Julius Randle adds USBWA all-district honor
- Julius Randle SEC freshman of year; James Young, Willie Cauley-Stein honored
- Kris Bentley of Sundy Best says performing at UK “one of the coolest things we’ve ever done”
- John Calipari: “I’ve think we’ve done right by these kids (who have gone to the NBA early”
- Father says transfer speculation never bothered Kentucky QB Patrick Towles
- John Calipari says only way to end freefall is for players “to do this together”
- Kentucky senior Jon Hood named to SEC Community Service Team
- Future Cats Trey Lyles, Karl Towns, Devin Booker, Tyler Ulis all will paly in Jordan Brand All-American Game
By LARRY VAUGHT
Give Kentucky coach John Calipari for never seeming to take a break when it comes to recruiting.
He could already have the No. 1 recruiting class for 2013 even if he doesn’t sign Andrew Wiggins — and I still think he will get the Huntington (W.Va.) Prep standout.
Kentucky already has a huge 2014 commitment in 7-foot Karl Towns, who was the No. 1 player in the class of 2015 before he reclassified to 2014. He’s ranked No. 3 in the 2014 class.
But last week Calipari was back out visiting 2014 point guard Tyus Jones — he could run the point if Andrew Harrison turns out to be a one-and-done player as many expect. He also went to see 6-9 forward Trey Lyles, who could help fill the void if signees James Young and Marcus Lee are both one-and-done players along with Wiggins if he joins UK.
Kentucky is one of eight teams Jones, who is the top ranked 2014 prospect by some, has on a list that also includes Ohio State and Michigan State. Duke, Baylor, Kansas, North Carolina and Minnesota are also there. Jones has indicated he’ll definitely visit UK and Kansas.
The 6-9 Lyles made a verbal commitment to Indiana before he ever played a high school game. He decommitted from Indiana earlier this fall and some recruiting analysts have considered UK one of the favorites to land him.
Several UK sources have indicated that Kentucky may not only be the favorite, but that Lyles could join Towns and give his verbal commitment to UK soon. That could give Calipari two top 2014 recruits by mid-December of their junior years and position him again to have a No. 1 recruiting class.