Most Recent Posts
- Video: UK softball coach Rachel Lawson previews the Super Regional clash against Arizona State
- ESPN.com’s Jason King seems to have logical rankings going into next season
- Mark Stoops on John Calipari: “I love being around him”
- UK football coach Mark Stoops understands that hiring Vince Marrow was a home run for Kentucky
- Video: Larry hears cowbells, makes a chocolate cow and soaks up the culture in Switzerland
- Video: UK offensive coordinator Neal Brown talks about recruiting the home state of Kentucky
- What role did Drew Barker’s mother play in his athletic development?
- Calipari will be keynote speaker at Iba Awards June 3 in Tulsa
By LARRY VAUGHT
Give Kentucky coach John Calipari for never seeming to take a break when it comes to recruiting.
He could already have the No. 1 recruiting class for 2013 even if he doesn’t sign Andrew Wiggins — and I still think he will get the Huntington (W.Va.) Prep standout.
Kentucky already has a huge 2014 commitment in 7-foot Karl Towns, who was the No. 1 player in the class of 2015 before he reclassified to 2014. He’s ranked No. 3 in the 2014 class.
But last week Calipari was back out visiting 2014 point guard Tyus Jones — he could run the point if Andrew Harrison turns out to be a one-and-done player as many expect. He also went to see 6-9 forward Trey Lyles, who could help fill the void if signees James Young and Marcus Lee are both one-and-done players along with Wiggins if he joins UK.
Kentucky is one of eight teams Jones, who is the top ranked 2014 prospect by some, has on a list that also includes Ohio State and Michigan State. Duke, Baylor, Kansas, North Carolina and Minnesota are also there. Jones has indicated he’ll definitely visit UK and Kansas.
The 6-9 Lyles made a verbal commitment to Indiana before he ever played a high school game. He decommitted from Indiana earlier this fall and some recruiting analysts have considered UK one of the favorites to land him.
Several UK sources have indicated that Kentucky may not only be the favorite, but that Lyles could join Towns and give his verbal commitment to UK soon. That could give Calipari two top 2014 recruits by mid-December of their junior years and position him again to have a No. 1 recruiting class.