Most Recent Posts
- Miami Heat sign former UK standout DeAndre Liggins to 2nd 10-day contract
- 2014 SEC Tournament Bracket: Cats to play 7 p.m. Friday
- Photos from Kentucky’s 84-65 loss at Florida
- Kentucky Wildcats TV: UK players Julius Randle and Dakari Johnson talk after the loss to Florida
- Kentucky Wildcats TV: UK Coach John Calipari talks after loss to Florida
- Behind “attack” mentality, No. 12 Kentucky takes down No. 5 South Carolina, 68-58
- UK Hoops advances to SEC Tourney finals with 68-58 win over South Carolina
- Postgame notes from Kentucky’s 84-65 loss at Florida
By LARRY VAUGHT
How confident is UK coach John Calipari that his team can play with the same effort it did the second half without Julius Randle on the court when he is back on the floor Wednesday night against Mississippi State?
“Here’s the one thing I want to tell you: We’ve had games where Andrew wasn’t getting it done, had no pressure on the ball, wasn’t in the emotional state. We go to somebody else and we play better. So he’s done. Now when you see him, hopefully you’re seeing a different player,” Calipari said. “We’ve also won with Aaron on the bench. James Young against Belmont was in Detroit before the game started, so we won without him. Now we’ve won without Julius.
“Now the question is, can Dakari (Johnson) or Marcus (Lee) give us enough that we can win without Willie (Cauley-Stein)? Now what’s important about that is those guys know if you don’t come to play and compete and battle or you’re not quite ready, you’re out and we’ll win without you. That is very important for a team to know and I’ve made it a point to let them know that, whether it’s Julius or Andrew or Aaron or James, we have enough.
“When you talk about the way Dominique (Hawkins) is playing, the way Alex is playing, if Dakari will give us more and Marcus Lee give us more and the way Jarrod goes in and helps our team. The one guy that I gotta get in games and I gotta get him started a little bit is Derek Willis because he’s really been doing good in practice. He and Marcus Lee are the two that we gotta keep engaged because I really think before it’s all said and done they’re going to help us win games.”