Most Recent Posts
- Kentucky falls 71-70 to Tennessee in SEC championship
- This year John Calipari says the SEC Tournament is important for UK’s mojo
- High school coordinator on UK WR signee Blake Bone: “He doesn’t get caught”
- Kentucky big man Julius Randle: “We don’t know what we’ve got to do but we’ve got to get going”
- UK coach John Calipari: “I didn’t think we had any kind of fight” to start the game
- Miami Heat sign former UK standout DeAndre Liggins to 2nd 10-day contract
- 2014 SEC Tournament Bracket: Cats to play 7 p.m. Friday
- Photos from Kentucky’s 84-65 loss at Florida
By LARRY VAUGHT
How easy is it for Kentucky player to feel like it is a burden playing at UK when things are not going well?
“It’s very easy. And these kids, they are so young, and the expectation was so high, which I tried to tell everybody early, you’re out of your mind,” Kentucky coach John Calipari said after Wednesday’s win over Vanderbilt. “And now, with what’s gone on, point guards out early, Willie (Cauley-Stein)’s out, now Nerlens (Noel) is out for the year. We are short numbers, anyway. Our guard play was really erratic, at best, and we go get bombed at Tennessee and really got bombed at Florida.
“And so for them to come back, it shows what they are about. I mean, they know. I mean, this team, I keep telling, this could be the greatest story in the college basketball season if they want it to be. But you’ve got to fight and battle. If you want good things to happen, make them happen. They are not making them happen for us. Do you think there’s a lot of people unhappy we are struggling out there? There’s a lot of college towns unhappy we’re struggling? They are ecstatic we’re struggling.
“So you want good things to happen? No one’s going to do it for you. Go make it happen, and they did tonight. I thought we played hard. I thought we competed, we showed confidence. Vandy never went away; they kept coming.
“And again, it’s like I say, the playing here is not for everybody. I can’t hide guys. If your skill is suspect, I can’t hide you, it’s just hard. You’re under a magnifying glass here.”