Most Recent Posts
- Guest Post: Maybe it’s time for fans to quit setting young Cats up for failure
- Stoops on Drew Barker: “I expect him to come in from day one and compete for the starting job”
- Stoops expects JUCO signees Johnson, Stamps — who picked UK over Ohio State — to help defense immediately
- UK assistant coach Kenny Payne knows adjustments Cats must make, especially on defense, to avoid being “up and down”
- UK recruiting targe Matt Elam likes having Cats coach Mark Stoops as “my chauffeur” in his Mercedes
- Draft analyst doesn’t think UK’s James Young has played like first-round pick yet
- Gym rat Montaque Gill-Caesar likes the family atmosphere at Huntington Prep, still waiting on reclassifying decision
- Matt Elam has reasons for wanting to be like Tim Couch
By LARRY VAUGHT
Even before Kentucky beat Kansas in the national championship game, rumors were already flying that John Calipari could well be coaching the New York Knicks nextÂ year.
That was my reaction and has been. Calipari likes it at Kentucky and could be establishing a run of success few coaches will match and has changed the way everyone has to think about recruiting with his success at UK. His wife likes Lexington and his son, his youngest child, is a high school student. I just can’t see him uprooting Brad to coach a pro team. His son interacts with the UK players often and travels with the team. Just can’t see him doing that with a NBA team.
Plus, Calipari has made it clear time after time he’s not ready to leave. Anyone who saw the emotion at the Adolph Rupp Award ceremony when Calipari cried as he presented the award to Anthony Davis would understand why Cal is a college coach.
But don’t take my word for it. Look at what CalipariÂ posted at coachcal.com today â€” AND BELIEVE HIM.
Calipari: “Big Blue Nation, breathe. Relax. Calm down. Enjoy the championship.
I just talked to Mike DeCourcy and Andy Katz and they asked me if I was going to jump to the NBA. What?! I We just won the championship a day and a half ago. The only three things Iâ€™m trying to decide on is when Iâ€™m going to go see a few recruits, how Iâ€™m going to get through all these voicemails and when do I get a chance to get some sleep.
But for those of you that need to hear it again, let me repeat what I told Andy and Mike: Iâ€™m not going anywhere. I have the best job in the country. Why would I leave after weâ€™ve just won a national title? Weâ€™re trying to catch UCLA, folks. Iâ€™ve got more money than Iâ€™m ever going to need or my family can spend, so I donâ€™t have to make a decision based on finances.
Let me assure you that you will see me at NBA games this summer â€¦ to watch our former players. Iâ€™m not going to give up my lifestyle based on a few rumors, and I will continue to go to NBA games to see my family, friends and former players. Iâ€™m even going to a game tonight.
But relax, Big Blue Nation. Sit back and enjoy this special time. Weâ€™ve waited 14 years for this, so letâ€™s not let anyone ruin this for us. No oneâ€™s stealing my joy or my playersâ€™ joy. Donâ€™t let them steal yours.”