Most Recent Posts
- Calipari will be keynote speaker at Iba Awards June 3 in Tulsa
- D.J. Eliot understands coach Mark Stoops “very well” can bring new ideas to UK defense
- Swiss Cat Part 2: Larry continues his adventure in Switzerland
- Brumbaugh understands junior college talent, feels he can bring JUCO players to UK
- Volleyball training, personality will both help Marcus Lee at Kentucky
- UK coach Mark Stoops was patient with Neal Brown because he was “all-in” on hiring him
- UK signee Marcus Lee overcame early education struggles to succeed in academics, athletics
- No. 12 Kentucky and No. 5 Arizona State to start best-of-three NCAA Super Regional set Saturday at 10 p.m. ET
By LARRY VAUGHT
Even before Kentucky beat Kansas in the national championship game, rumors were already flying that John Calipari could well be coaching the New York Knicks nextÂ year.
That was my reaction and has been. Calipari likes it at Kentucky and could be establishing a run of success few coaches will match and has changed the way everyone has to think about recruiting with his success at UK. His wife likes Lexington and his son, his youngest child, is a high school student. I just can’t see him uprooting Brad to coach a pro team. His son interacts with the UK players often and travels with the team. Just can’t see him doing that with a NBA team.
Plus, Calipari has made it clear time after time he’s not ready to leave. Anyone who saw the emotion at the Adolph Rupp Award ceremony when Calipari cried as he presented the award to Anthony Davis would understand why Cal is a college coach.
But don’t take my word for it. Look at what CalipariÂ posted at coachcal.com today â€” AND BELIEVE HIM.
Calipari: “Big Blue Nation, breathe. Relax. Calm down. Enjoy the championship.
I just talked to Mike DeCourcy and Andy Katz and they asked me if I was going to jump to the NBA. What?! I We just won the championship a day and a half ago. The only three things Iâ€™m trying to decide on is when Iâ€™m going to go see a few recruits, how Iâ€™m going to get through all these voicemails and when do I get a chance to get some sleep.
But for those of you that need to hear it again, let me repeat what I told Andy and Mike: Iâ€™m not going anywhere. I have the best job in the country. Why would I leave after weâ€™ve just won a national title? Weâ€™re trying to catch UCLA, folks. Iâ€™ve got more money than Iâ€™m ever going to need or my family can spend, so I donâ€™t have to make a decision based on finances.
Let me assure you that you will see me at NBA games this summer â€¦ to watch our former players. Iâ€™m not going to give up my lifestyle based on a few rumors, and I will continue to go to NBA games to see my family, friends and former players. Iâ€™m even going to a game tonight.
But relax, Big Blue Nation. Sit back and enjoy this special time. Weâ€™ve waited 14 years for this, so letâ€™s not let anyone ruin this for us. No oneâ€™s stealing my joy or my playersâ€™ joy. Donâ€™t let them steal yours.”