Most Recent Posts
- Cats Return To Rupp To Find Their Determination To Win; numbers favor UK by 10
- Coach on Booker: “He is the Peyton Manning of basketball” and he’s no “butt-hole”
- UK coach John Calipari talks life, bullying, Louisville, NBA and UK with Rafferty Monday at 7:30 on FOX Sports
- Calipari on Cats: “We start looking for excuses and heads down.”
- 6-10 Thomas Bryant says he hears “some from Kentucky”
- Baylor coach Scott Drew on key to win: “I think we play a lot of guys and they stick together”
- Kentucky offensive coordinator Neal Brown on QB play: “It’s a deal where we gotta get better”
- Lyles, Booker both put on show for Calipari, UK assistants, UK fans
By LARRY VAUGHT
Kentucky coach John Calipari said today that there are “30, 40 teams that could get to the Final Four” based on what he’s seen and heard.
“And I don’t think there’s any clear-cut national champion winner. If you talk about Louisville, they got to be right there as one of those if you’re talking four or five. Possibly a Duke. I like Michigan. They’re doing it shooting. Scares me sometimes, because sometimes you go on a run, you’ll go a month and can’t make a shot. And if that’s what you’re relying on, your team goes south. But I think Michigan right now may be playing better than anybody in the country. I think there’s like 30, 40 teams that could get to the Final Four,” said Calipari.
Is UK one of the 30 or 40?
“At this point, probably not, but by March that’s what our plan would be. And I would tell you that even teams like VCU, teams like Butler, those teams all have a chance,” the UK coach said. “You have teams ranked in the top 20 that, I think one team got beat by 30 at home last night. I mean, that’s why I say it’s one of those years. It’s just like a couple years ago where, I’m worried about my team. That’s all I got to worry about. Get my team right.”
He says the lack of a dominant team is good for Kentucky this yer.
“It’s great for all of us out there. OK, who’s going to have their team playing the best in March? Because that’s what it’ll be about. Whose team is playing the best in March?” Calipari said. “There are different teams that have played well early. I mean, Arizona’s playing well. Couple crazy wins, but they still won those games. They’re learning how to win. You might throw them in that bunch. I don’t know. But again, I haven’t seen Arizona play three minutes. So I won’t know. But it feels right now like it was a couple years ago.”