Most Recent Posts
- High school coach says he’s heard “no NBA talk” from Andrew or Aaron Harrison
- Playing No. 1 Florida “just going to be another game” for James Young
- John Calipari: UK needs Alex Poythress to “do two or three things on offense” and no more
- Kentucky gets the Gator off its back, beats Florida 75-70 in SEC semis
- Willie Cauley-Stein says Cats “obviously 100 percent” believe they can beat No. 1 Florida
- John Calipari has assigned assistants to monitor players’ minutes in games
- Kentucky Wildcats TV: How you approach the end
- John Calipari says Kentucky must “make some jump shots” to play with Florida
By LARRY VAUGHT
Even thought I was at the Marshall County Hoop Fest Friday and Saturday and missed Kentucky’s loss to Baylor that ended the 55-game home win streak, I did watch the Cats on TV and wondered immediately how coach John Calipari would react.
Here are some of his postgame comments that jumped out at me:
“We’ve just got a ways to go with this team and I think everybody now understands, you know, that you don’t just put a collection of players together. But it’s more than just our fans and everybody understanding; it’s our team understanding. Are you willing to do what it takes?
“I don’t have a magic wand, folks. I don’t put people in the NBA. I don’t build teams … well, his team will be better by the end of the year. Why? Because I’ve got a magic wand? No. Because the players decide they are going to do this and they are going to get better. Every one of my teams have made that commitment. This team has not right now. I believe they will, but they haven’t.
“Part of it is you start reading how good you are, top 10 in the country. I told all you people, we are not that good. I knew what we were. I was so happy we beat Maryland because I knew we couldn’t be 0 2 to start the season.
“So we have got a ways (to go). But I must say it again, I like to say this our fans are crazy and I like my team.”