Most Recent Posts
- Humphrey “grateful” that Archie Goodwin got to play under John Calipari
- Brown says line, receiver are offensive recruiting needs; OL Kelly commits
- Goodwin getting “postive feedback” from workouts with various NBA teams
- Ohio twins will transfer from Pittsburgh to Kentucky
- Photo Gallery: Alex Poythress at Camp Cal
- Ohio RB Mikel Horton did all he could to help convince Georgia RB Boom Williams to commit to UK
- Boom Willams expects to make impact returning punts, kickoffs
- UK commit Stanley Williams ready to bring the “Boom” to Kentucky football
By LARRY VAUGHT
Maybe Jordan Aumiller just didnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t want to admit how well he had been playing, but Kentucky coach Joker Phillips certainly had no problem indicating how the redshirt freshman tight end has done when he said after FridayÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s practice that Aumiller is currently No. 1 on the depth chart.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“If we played today, (Jordan) Aumiller,Ã¢â‚¬Â Phillips said about who might start against Louisville Sept. 4. Ã¢â‚¬Å“Aumiller has been playing well enough to be the first guy that comes out on the field.Ã¢â‚¬Â
An injury to Nick Melillo, UKÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s only experienced tight end, opened a big competition at tight end and Aumiller and true freshman Tyler Robinson are now one-two on the depth chart. Going into preseason drills, most thought either redshirt freshman Anthony Kendrick or true freshman Alex Smith would win the job. However, AumillerÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s consistency, blocking and pass-catching ability have him No. 1 while RobinsonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s blocking and surprising ability to get down the field on pass routes have him next. That leaves Smith as a likely redshirt candidate even though he was considered one of the stars of PhillipsÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ first recruiting class.
Remember, Aumiller played linebacker last year when he was redshirted before being moved to tight end in spring practice. Now he could be starting just as another former Boyle County star Ã¢â‚¬â€ Jacob Tamme Ã¢â‚¬â€ did for the Wildcats.
Center, right tackle, strongside linebacker and placekicker still do not have a clear No. 1.
Senior Jacob Dufrene has a slight edge over sophomore Ridge Wilson at linebacker going into SaturdayÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s scrimmage, the final one UK will have before playing Louisville.