UK MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
KENTUCKY AT VANDERBILT
MEMORIAL GYMNASIUM | NASHVILLE
JAN. 13, 2018
Final Score: #21/20 Kentucky 74, Vanderbilt 67
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 14-3 overall and 4-1 in the Southeastern Conference. Vanderbilt is 6-11 overall, 1-4 in league play.
- Kentucky leads the series 144-47 and has won three in a row vs. the Commodores.
o UK leads the series 57-29 when the game is played in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Kentucky remains on the road for Tuesday’s tilt at South Carolina. The game is set to air live on ESPN at 9 p.m. ET.
In the First Half
- Kentucky’s starting lineup featured Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Hamidou Diallo, PJ Washington, Kevin Knox and Nick Richards for the fourth time this season and second game in a row. UK is 4-0 with this lineup.
- Kentucky extended its streak of 1,030 consecutive games with a 3-pointer when Washington hit a long ball with 12:46 to go in the opening half.
- UK’s defense forced Vanderbilt to go 1 for 10 to start the game and the Wildcats went on an 11-0 run over 5:43 for a 13-6 lead.
- UK went on a 6-0 run over the last 2:32 of the first half, which included a Sacha Killeya-Jones layup with two seconds on the clock for a 36-27 halftime lead.
- UK held Vanderbilt to 25.9-percent shooting from the field, the lowest of any opponent in any half this season.
- UK is 10-1 this season when leading at halftime.
In the Second Half
- Vanderbilt’s 56-55 lead at the 7:57 mark was its first since leading 6-4 in the first half.
- Tied at 59, UK went on a 7-0 run for a 66-59 lead.
- Up by five with 1:17 left to play, Diallo drilled a corner 3-pointer to put the Wildcats up by eight.
- With UK leading 70-66, Riley LaChance was fouled on a 3-pointer with 30.6 left in the game and missed all three free throws.
o Knox was fouled immediately after the rebound, sent to the line and made both free throws to give UK a six-point lead.
- UK’s seven blocks are its most since swatting eight vs. Monmouth on Dec. 9. The Wildcats’ season high is 10 vs. Kansas.
- Kentucky won the points in the paint 36-26. UK is 10-1 this season when scoring more points in the paint than the opponent.
- UK shot 53.5 percent from the field, making 23 of 43.
o UK is 7-0 this season when making at least 50 percent, 11-0 when making at least 46.4 percent.
o Kentucky has shot 46.2 percent or better in four-consecutive games.
- UK outrebounded Vanderbilt 35-30. The Wildcats are 13-0 this season when winning the battle of the boards.
- Kentucky committed only 11 turnovers. UK is 7-0 this season when committing 12 or fewer miscues.
- UK was 25 of 37 from the foul line.
o Kentucky has shot 34 or more free throws in back-to-back games and has 22 or more makes in consecutive outings.
- Kentucky limited Vanderbilt to just 38.2 (21 of 55) percent shooting from the floor. It was the lowest field-goal percentage for an SEC opponent this season against the Cats. It was the lowest percentage by a UK opponent since Louisville shot 34.8 percent.
- The Commodores committed only seven turnovers, matching the lowest by a UK opponent this season. UIC also only turned the ball over seven times.
- Shai Gilgeous-Alexander led the Wildcats with a game-high 22 points, the third time in the last six games he’s scored 20 or more points.
- He reached double figures for the fifth time in the last six games.
- He had six assists tonight and has had at least four in seven straight games.
- He has played 39 minutes in consecutive games.
- Averaging 17.3 points, 4.8 assists and 4.3 rebounds over the last six games.
- Kevin Knox had 17 points with 13 coming after halftime.
- He made all seven free throws he attempted.
- Scored nine of UK’s final 15 points, including the final four points from the free throw line.
- PJ Washington had 10 points and eight rebounds.
- Scored in double figures in each of the last four games and five of the last six.
- The eight rebounds were the most since he had eight in consecutive games against ETSU and Troy
- Hamidou Diallo added 10 points, including a game-sealing 3-pointer with just over a minute to play.
- It is the 12th time he has reached double figures in scoring this season
- Also added a career-high two blocked shots; he came into the game with two blocks for his career.
- Wenyen Gabriel pitched in with seven points and a game-high nine rebounds.
- Quade Green and Tai Wynyard missed the game because of injury.
Coach John Calipari
- Calipari has a 708-196 all-time on-court record.
- Calipari is now 263-56 at Kentucky.
- Calipari is 14-4 vs. Vanderbilt in his career.