LEXINGTON, Ky. – Kentucky freshman guard Malik Monk has secured NCAA consensus All-America status with his selection to the Associated Press All-America Second Team on Tuesday. Monk is the eighth player during John Calipari’s tenure to earn consensus All-America distinction in his eight seasons as head coach.
Monk was tabbed to the second team of each of the NCAA’s four recognized organizations (AP, National Association of Basketball Coaches, United States Basketball Writers Association, Sporting News) it uses to determine consensus status.
The Lepanto, Arkansas, native is joined on the AP All-America Second Team by Nigel Williams-Goss (Gonzaga), Dillon Brooks (Oregon), Johnathan Motley (Baylor) and Luke Kennard (Duke). The same four players also joined Monk as consensus All-America Second Team selections.
Monk is the eighth player under Calipari to earn consensus All-America status. He joins John Wall (2010, first team), DeMarcus Cousins (2010, second team), Anthony Davis (2012, first team), Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (2012, second team), Willie Cauley-Stein (2015, first team) Karl-Anthony Towns (2015, second team) and Tyler Ulis (2016, first team) as the others to achieve the feat.
A total of 38 Wildcats have achieved NCAA consensus All-America honors 49 times in school history. Monk is the 10th Wildcat under Calipari to be named to one of the AP All-America teams.
The NCAA consensus All-America teams are compiled using a point system computed from the aforementioned four All-America teams named by coaches associations or media sources. The point system consists of three points for first team, two points for second team and one point for third team. No honorable mention, fourth team or lower selections are used in the computation.
In men’s basketball, the teams are not compiled by position so the top five players in points are named first team consensus All-American and the next five are named second team consensus All-American. If there is a tie for the final player on the first or second team in basketball, then the players who are tied shall be named to that team. Both the first and second teams shall consist of at least five players each.
Monk’s AP honor on Tuesday are just the latest in a long list of awards this postseason. Monk’s honors include:
· NCAA Consensus All-America Second Team
· SEC Player of the Year (AP)
· SEC Newcomer of the Year (AP)
· SEC Freshman of the Year (Coaches)
· All-SEC First Team (AP/Coaches)
· All-SEC Freshman Team (Coaches)
· AP All-America Second Team
· NABC All-America Second Team
· USBWA All-America Second Team
· Sporting News All-America Second Team
· Sporting News Freshman All-America Team
· USA Today All-America Second Team
· NBC Sports All-America Second Team
· Wooden Award All-American
· USBWA District IV Player of the Year
· USBWA All-District IV Team
· Jerry West Award Finalist
· Wooden Award Finalist
· NABC All-District 21 Team