Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
Kentucky at Missouri, Mizzou Arena, Columbia, Mo.
Feb. 21, 2017
Final Score: No. 11/10 Kentucky 72, Missouri 62
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky won its fifth game in a row and is 23-5 overall, 13-2 in the Southeastern Conference. Missouri is 7-20, 2-13 in the SEC.
- Kentucky leads the series 10-0
o UK leads 3-0 in Columbia.
- Next for Kentucky: the Wildcats return to Rupp Arena Saturday against Florida. Tipoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. ET on CBS.
o Kentucky and Florida sit atop the SEC standings with identical 13-2 league records.
o Florida won the two teams’ first meeting this season 88-66 in Gainesville on Feb. 4.
In the First Half
- Kentucky started the lineup of Isaiah Briscoe, De’Aaron Fox, Malik Monk, Wenyen Gabriel and Bam Adebayo for the 20th time this season. UK is 16-4 with this lineup.
- Malik Monk’s 3-pointer with 18:51 on the clock extended UK’s streak of 1,003 consecutive games with a triple.
- Missouri scored the first two baskets of the game, but never led by more than four.
- Kentucky led by as many as five.
In the Second Half
- Kentucky scored the first three buckets of the second half to pull out to a 37-31 lead at the 17:28 mark.
- Mizzou used a 6-0 run over 0:45 to tie the game at 52-52 at the 7:45 mark.
- Adebayo finished a traditional three-point play on the ensuing UK possession.
o UK led the rest of the game.
- Kentucky opened its lead to double-digits for the first time at the 1:40 mark when Derek Willis finished a Fox alley-oop on the fast break.
o UK used a 16-6 run to take that 68-58 lead.
- From tied at 52-52 with 7:45 to play, Kentucky finished the game by outscoring Mizzou 20-10.
- Kentucky shot 46.2 percent from the field. UK is 23-1 this season when shooting at least 42 percent.
- Kentucky won the rebounding battle for the fifth straight game, 44-31. UK is 19-3 this season when outrebounding the opponent.
o Since losing the battle of the boards in the loss at Florida, UK has had an average rebounding margin better than +10 per game during the current five-game win streak.
- Calipari has a 685-192 (.781) on-court record, including a 240-52 (.822) mark at UK.
- Kentucky’s 17 turnovers tied its season-high. The other occurrences were the loss to Kansas, and the win against South Carolina.
- UK’s two steals tied its season low (at Vanderbilt).
- UK improved to 142-5 when holding an opponent to 63 points or less under Calipari.
- Freshman Bam Adebayo had 22 points and grabbed a career-high 15 rebounds.
- He tallied the first 20-point, 10-rebound game of his career.
- It was his fourth double-double of the year which ties him with Briscoe and Fox for the team lead.
- He’s pulled down seven or more rebounds in his last six games.
- He tied his career highs with 10 made free throws on 13 attempts.
- He scored more than 20 for the first time since going for 21 at Tennessee on Jan. 24.
- He blocked three shots, one shy of his career high.
- Freshman De’Aaron Fox had 13 points, and added five rebounds and four assists.
- Freshman Malik Monk tallied 11 points, continuing his streak of double-figure scoring in every game this season.