2016 TAXSLAYER BOWL
Georgia Tech Football (8-4, 4-4 ACC) vs. Kentucky (7-5, 4-4 SEC)
Saturday, Dec. 31, 2016 • 11 a.m. ET • Jacksonville, Fla. • EverBank Field (77,000)
• Georgia Tech makes the 44th bowl appearance in program history when it faces Kentucky in the 72nd-annual TaxSlayer Bowl on New Year’s Eve in Jacksonville, Fla.
• Georgia Tech enters the postseason as one of college football’s hottest teams, having won three-straight and five of its last six games to close the regular season. The Yellow Jackets are one of only 13 NCAA Division I FBS teams that is riding a winning streak of three games or more into the postseason.
• Georgia Tech is making its 44th all-time bowl appearance, which ranks 13th in major college football history. With a 24-19 all-time record in bowl games, the Yellow Jackets’ rank 10th all-time in bowl wins and 12th all-time in bowl winning percentage (.558 – minimum 15 victories).
• Georgia Tech is making its eighth appearance in the TaxSlayer Bowl (formerly known as the Gator Bowl), which makes it the Yellow Jackets’ most common bowl destination all-time (Tech has played in seven Orange Bowls). The Jackets are 3-4 all-time in the TaxSlayer/Gator Bowl.
• With a TaxSlayer Bowl win over Kentucky, Georgia Tech would record its 11th nine-win season in the last 60 years but its fourth in nine seasons under head coach Paul Johnson.
• The TaxSlayer Bowl serves as the 20th all-time meeting between Georgia Tech and Kentucky but the first since 1960. The Yellow Jackets hold an 11-7-1 edge in the series and have won two-straight (1959, 1960) and four of the last five (dating back to 1956) matchups versus the Wildcats.