Kentucky Women’s Basketball Postgame Notes
FINAL: #13/13 Kentucky 92, #25/24 Florida 69
Veterans Memorial Arena – Jacksonville, Fla.
March 4, 2016
Team Records and Series Notes
– Kentucky extended its winning streak to eight games with a 92-69 win over No. 25/24 Florida in the quarterfinals of the SEC Tournament.
– The Wildcats are now 7-2 on the season against ranked opponent.
– The win marks the fourth-largest deficit that the Wildcats have overcome during the SEC Tournament under Matthew Mitchell, behind a 76-67 win over Mississippi State after being down 15 on March 6, 2015; a 71-67 win over Florida after being down 14 on March 2, 2012; and a 76-65 win over Mississippi State after being down 14 on March 6, 2010.
– Kentucky is now 330-22 since 1974 when scoring 80 points or more. The last loss came against Dayton on March 22, 2015 in a 99-94 setback in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
– The meeting was the 53rd all-time between the two programs, with Kentucky advancing to 28-25 in the all-time series. Kentucky has won nine of the last 12 matchups, including three of the last four.
– The win is the first game since Feb. 28, 2010 that a matchup with Florida was decided by more than 10 points. The 23-point win is also the largest against the Gators since that game, when the Wildcats won a 77-51 contest.
– UK moves to 6-2 in the SEC Tournament against the Gators, including 3-0 under Matthew Mitchell.
– With the win, UK moves to 23-6 on the season. Florida drops to 22-8 on the season after going 10-6 in league action.
– Kentucky has reached the 20-win plateau for seven consecutive seasons.
– Matthew Mitchell is in his ninth season with Kentucky and the win moves him to 247-116 overall, including a 217-87 record while at Kentucky.
– Kentucky will play No. 3 South Carolina on Saturday at 5 p.m. ET. The Gamecocks are the No. 1 seed in the tournament after sweeping the SEC, 16-0.
– The attendance for the session was 4,703.
– Kentucky started with Batouly Camara, Janee Thompson, Maci Morris, Evelyn Akhator and Makayla Epps for the ninth straight game. UK is 8-1 with this lineup.
– All five starters scored in double figures for the first time since accomplishing the feat against Alabama on Jan. 7.
– Kentucky’s 92 points were the most against an SEC opponent this season.
– UK has reached the 90-point plateau just three times in the history of the SEC Tournament. They are the most in the Matthew Mitchell era and trail 106 points against Mississippi State in 1981 and 95 points against Alabama in 1992.
– The last time UK defeated a top-25 opponent at a neutral site was in the quarterfinals of the SEC Tournament last year, when Kentucky took down then-No. 11/13 Mississippi State 76-67 on March 1, 2015.
– UK has defeated three SEC opponents by 20 points or more this season, the last time being an 83-60 victory at Mississippi State on Feb. 18.
– UK outrebounded the Gators 51-34 and had a 42-28 advantage in paint points. UK also had the edge in second chance points, 23-10.
– Kentucky turned the ball over 17 times compared to Florida’s 18 miscues. The Gators had 11 steals, which is the first time UK has had its pocket picked 10 times since the last time it played UF on Jan. 31
– Florida hit 10 3-pointers, marking the first time since Jan. 28 in the setback to Vanderbilt that an opponent has hit 10 or more triples.
– Florida’s first 12 points were solely from 3-pointers, going 4-of-4 from beyond the arc to start the contest.
– UK trailed by as many as 10 points in the first quarter, with the largest Florida lead being 16-6 at 3:13.
– Kentucky trailed 16-9 at the close of the first quarter. The nine points were the fewest that the Wildcats have put up in the opening stanza this season.
– Kentucky took its first lead of the contest courtesy of a Thompson 3-pointer at 5:52, capping off a 9-0 run. The Wildcats extended to a 17-2 run, lasting 3:48.
– After posting one of the worst quarters in the first, Kentucky turned it around and scored 33 in the second quarter, a season-high for the team. The Cats also went from shooting 17% in the first to 65% in the second.
– UK led 42-29 at the half, nearly the exact same lead the Cats had against LSU in the second round of the SEC Tournament yesterday (41-29). The 42 points are the second-most scored in the first half against an SEC opponent, behind only 44 points against Arkansas on Feb. 21.
– Kentucky extended the lead to 70-49 by the end of the third period. The 70 points were the most scored against an SEC opponent in three periods of action this season, and the third-most of the season behind only 82 against Morehead State on Nov. 18 and 73 against Jackson State on Nov. 29.
– The Wildcats continued to outscore Florida 22-20 in the final quarter.
– Makayla Epps led the team in scoring with 22 points, hitting 20 points for the 10th time this season and the 17th in her career.
o Epps also added seven assists, seven rebounds and three steals.
– Janee Thompson added 19 points with four assists. She tied her career high with four 3-pointers, just one off the UK record for 3s in an SEC Tournament game.
o Thompson scored 13 points in the second quarter alone.
– Evelyn Akhator recorded the 12th career and third consecutive double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds, adding three blocks, two assists and a steal.
– Batouly Camara netted 12 points with five rebounds and two blocks.
– Maci Morris hit two 3-pointers and went a perfect 4-of-4 from the free throw line for 10 points.