A few notes and numbers on Saturday night’s Kentucky-Texas A&M matchup from the Texas A&M perspective.
• Texas A&M looks to close the gap in the SEC race Saturday evening when the Aggies host No. 14 Kentucky … The Wildcats maintain the top spot in the SEC standings with a 10-3 league mark, but the Aggies are close behind in a tie for third with an 8-5 conference record.
• The series between the Aggies & Wildcats has been a closely contested one since Texas A&M joined the SEC for the 2012-13 season … The two schools have faced off four times in league play with two games going into overtime, including last season’s double-overtime thriller at Reed Arena that stood out as UK’s closest call during an undefeated regular season run.
• Along the way to earning First-Team All-SEC honors last season, senior Danuel House garnered national attention for his impressive outing vs. Kentucky during the Aggies’ double overtime loss to the ‘Cats … Only Auburn’s Antoine Mason, who scored 28 points vs. Kentucky on Feb. 21, put up more than House’s 25 points against the Wildcats during their undefeated regular season run.
• The Aggies have already faced off against four ranked teams this season and own a 3-1 record in those contests … Two of the wins have come inside Reed Arena where A&M defeated No. 16 Baylor 80-61 on Dec. 19 and No. 14 Iowa State 72-62 on Jan. 31.
• Senior Alex Caruso is coming off a milestone performance, scoring four points Tuesday against Ole Miss to become the 35th member of Texas A&M’s 1,000-Point Club with exactly 1,000 points during his A&M tenure.
• Already A&M’s all-time steals leader with 258 career take-aways, Caruso is approaching another top spot in program history as he enters the UK game with 591 career assists … His assist total trails only David Edwards, who dished out 602 dimes for the Maroon & White from 1991-94.
SERIES HISTORY VS. KENTUCKY (UK LEADS 5-2)
• Saturday will be the eighth meeting between the Aggies & Wildcats on the hardwood and the fifth in SEC league play.
• The two schools first met during the 1941-42 season when the ‘Cats earned a 49-29 victory.
• Last year on Jan. 10, the top-ranked Wildcats got their biggest scare of what would be an undefeated regular season as they edged the Aggies 70-64 in double overtime at Reed Arena … Danuel House led the way for the Aggies with 25 points.
• A&M’s Billy Kennedy is 1-3 against Kentucky.
• Kennedy’s head coaching counterpart, UK’s John Calipari, is 4-1 all-time against the Aggies … Before his tenure at UK, his lone contest against Texas A&M came on March 22, 2007, while coaching at Memphis … The Tigers defeated the Aggies 65-64 during the NCAA Tournament’s South Regional semifinal at San Antonio’s Alamodome.